• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Next LAS meet - April 9th

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

From Dr Ann...

Our next meeting at the National Space Centre is this coming Tuesday April 9 at 7.30pm when guest speaker Geoff Mansfield will speak about 'The Antikythera Mechanism'.     There is also likely to be a short astrophotography presentation.

There's still time to put your name down for the trip to Greenwich on Saturday June 8.   £15 for the coach travel only must be paid by this coming Tuesday please.   Any entrance fees are payable when you get to Greenwich.

Thanks to Mike Kirby for alerting us to a TV programme on Friday April 12 at 9pm on BBC2.   It's a docudrama entitled  'Isaac Newton: The Last Magician'.

I hope you enjoy the attached article about Valentina Tereshkova by Brett Melville.   June sees the 50th anniversary of Valentina's spaceflight and Brett has kindly agreed to give us a short presentation about this at a meeting in the near future.   Look out for further details.

If clear this coming Saturday 6 April, we can meet up for observing at Mill Lane, Blaby from 8.45pm.    <Weather permitting>

Edited by Steve

'The Antikythera Mechanism'

I'll make the effort to go to this one if I'm back in time Steve - I've been interested in this subject for years. :)

Guest Steve

Well I was woefully ignorant... but there is always Wikipedia:

The Antikythera mechanism (pron.: /ˌæntɨkɨˈθɪərÉ™/ ant-i-ki-theer-É™ or /ˌæntɨˈkɪθərÉ™/ ant-i-kith-É™-rÉ™) is an ancient analog computer[1][2] designed to calculate astronomicalpositions. It was recovered in 1900–1901 from the Antikythera wreck,[3] but its significance and complexity were not understood until a century later. Jacques Cousteauvisited the wreck in 1978[4] but, although he found new dating evidence, he did not find any additional remains of the Antikythera mechanism. The construction has been dated to the early 1st century BCE. Technological artifacts approaching its complexity and workmanship did not appear again until the 14th century AD, when mechanicalastronomical clocks began to be built in Western Europe.[5]

Professor Michael Edmunds of Cardiff University, who led a 2006 study of the mechanism, said:[6][7]

This device is just extraordinary, the only thing of its kind. The design is beautiful, the astronomy is exactly right. The way the mechanics are designed just makes your jaw drop. Whoever has done this has done it extremely carefully ... in terms of historic and scarcity value, I have to regard this mechanism as being more valuable than the 

—30 November 2006

Edited by Steve

Yeah - it's basically an orrery - saw a program about it's discovery and how they worked out the cog sizes way back in ancient times (only about 4 months ago on TV). The history of it and how they knew stuff back then (that modern man assumes they didn't) is amazing.

A very elaborate orrery, you don't do it justice.

I saw a programme on it years ago, a very interesting subject.

If I make it on time I'll be wearing a green cap. Actually I'll be wearing that if I'm late as well lol :)

Lol. I was going to suggest some form of ID.

Perhaps a 'sky at night' folded under the right arm  :D

I'll be the long haired one (although slightly shorter than before my 5 yearly trim)

I will be wearing a daft pom pom hat with dangley ear warmers (you know the sort)

Look forward to seeing you.

Cheers

Paul

Guest Steve

Kim, disappointed. Me and Paul sat their with our silly hats but no sign of you!

You missed another interesting talk on the Antikythera Mechanism. If you saw the recent BBC4 documentary you probably saw most of it already though.

Sorry Steve - I wanted to go but got home feeling a bit sick and unwell - think I needed food and rest otherwise I woulda been there - especially for the anitkythera mechanism. Still feel a tad guidy - might be sickening for something.....

Hope you feel better soon Kim.

A couple of brandy's will probably sort it out :-)

Thanks Paul :)

(If I don't drive to work in the morning I'll open the port and brandy for medicinal purposes lol)

Steve

Can't believe I was out trumped on the hat..... And the route home ;-)

You disappeared and reappeared in front of me !!!

Paul