• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M101 Pinwheel galaxy

Antares_Paul

I had a run on M85/86 and friends which was a little disappointing scale-wise so I decided to fall back on one of the old faithfuls.

Was hoping to squeeze something out of M31 but it had already slipped down gracefully behind houses to the North by the time the M85/86 run had completed. That left me with either M51 or M101.  M101 it was:

M101_pi_zpsf5c340af.png

18x300s ISO 800. Canon 450D/ED120DS-PRO.

I also had a pop at M104 but only got 1x600s sub off before the sycamore trees to my South ate it. Looking at that sub, perhaps 600s was a bit much @ ISO800. Noted for future reference.

All in all a decent night. The kit performed and I'm confident now all the little bugs in software, device drivers etc are fettled.

Regards.

Nice one Paul, very clean image.

I put my ATIK16 on this a few weeks back and it is slightly too big for the sensor!

Yes Andy I remember the thread.

I'm looking to switch to mono CCD by Winter but the loss of FoV compared to a DSLR is staggering.

The QHY 8 and 10 have APS-C sized sensors but are OSC. I'll be doing heavy research nearer the time although frosting appears to be an issue with the cooled QHY cameras? I'd rather pay a bit more and get the right camera first time.

Regards.

Very nice 101 there Paul - and can't wait to see your Sombrero - my favourite edge on galaxy :)

I'm not doing anything with the single M104 image.

I had points of light to frame it but when the sub came off I stretched it to see what I had - and I did indeed have the Sombrero but with a tree outline in the foreground.

M104 and M83 are tantalisingly there in my sky, but not (if you see what I mean)  :wacko:

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate them.

Regards.

Yes Andy I remember the thread.

I'm looking to switch to mono CCD by Winter but the loss of FoV compared to a DSLR is staggering.

The QHY 8 and 10 have APS-C sized sensors but are OSC. I'll be doing heavy research nearer the time although frosting appears to be an issue with the cooled QHY cameras? I'd rather pay a bit more and get the right camera first time.

Regards.

I am saving for either an ATIK 314 or Starlight xpress camera, I have heard too many negatives regarding the QHY's.

And here's a crop as I've had nothing else better to do over the last few days.

M101_pi_crop_dbe_zpsbd4f9503.png

Regards.

Edited by Antares_Paul