• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Leo triplet and M13 cluster

Guest ben72

Guest ben72

Hi all,

had a marathon session last night(06/4/2013). First everyones fav....the Leo triplet.

the sky was slightly misty early on, and it didn't help that someone left there security lights on till about 2am, hence the graidiant and over processing.

22 lights@ 300s, iso 800

10 darks and 10 lights from stock (temp+expo)

then, once the lights went out (finally)... had a stab at my first cluster, M13.

26 lights@ 120s iso 800

10 darks and flats, again from stock.

as per the norm, all comments are welcome, good or bad...lol.

update..... gradiant removed.

Edited by ben72

Very good, I also had an all-nighter last night.

Propeller showing well in M13 and loads of detail in the triplet

:thumbsup:

Great targets for us to learn our craft on.

Regards.

These are very good Ben, I love the wide field type shot really puts the galaxies and clusters in prospective.

I'm amazed at these images - so lovely. I have observed M13 - like a glittering sparkling ball of stars, but not the triplet objects. Can the triplet be observed thro telescope or does it need long exposures to capture them?

Guest ben72

thanks to all for your comments

I'm amazed at these images - so lovely. I have observed M13 - like a glittering sparkling ball of stars, but not the triplet objects. Can the triplet be observed thro telescope or does it need long exposures to capture them?

hi Derek,

i haven't done much in the way of observing,planets mostly, but M65 and M66 (bottom two) are quite bright, even at low exposures (60s), so i dont see why not.

Smashing shots Ben - like the colours in the M13 one - and I can make out the propeller nicely - sign of a good capture. :)