• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My attempt at M51

oldfruit

This is almost 2 hours worth of subs, i wanted to get more but hazy cloud last night put a stop to that. 240x 30seconds lights, about 30 darks, iso 800. Taken with a Canon 1000d on a helios 8 inch newt on an eq5.

You've got a lot of detail in there Mark, seems last night was a busy night for imaging  :) 

I was just frustrated with the haze last night, i would have liked to have got a couple more hours on it to be honest though i suppose i can add to it at a later date.

It was a strange sort of night, looked clear enough but when I looked at M51 in the 12" Dob there wasn't as much detail there as I would have expected. I didn't bother trying to get Saturn as the view in the scope was very unsteady.

This is almost 2 hours worth of subs, i wanted to get more but hazy cloud last night put a stop to that. 240x 30seconds lights, about 30 darks, iso 800. Taken with a Canon 1000d on a helios 8 inch newt on an eq5.

That's great mark. Really good picture. Can I ask how come the background sky isn't very dark? Is there a lot of LP where you image from?

Guest ben72

what time did you pack up?

cleared up around 1am, and im not far from you, not crystal clear though

still, good data for 30s subs, 

Edited by ben72

That's great mark. Really good picture. Can I ask how come the background sky isn't very dark? Is there a lot of LP where you image from?

Yes Felix, it was taken in my garden and i live in town.

Also my processing is in its infancy, as i do not do too much imaging.

Edited by oldfruit

what time did you pack up?

cleared up around 1am, and im not far from you, not crystal clear though

still, good data for 30s subs, 

Stopped imaging about 10.30 ish as i could only see the brighter stars, a lot of the fainter stars that would normally be visible from my garden were obscured by the haze.

Gave this a little tweak in photoshop elements and came out with this, more of the fainter stuff showing.