• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Greetings from Derby

Guest endure

Guest endure

Hi folks. Joined yesterday. I'm a total noob. I don't have any kit (or any clue!) at the moment. Hope to learn more as I go along. Does anyone here take any educational courses on astronomy at all?

Edited by endure

Hi Richard,

You could not have come to a better place! There's loads of experience and advice here, so feel free to ask away.

Your best bet is to get to one of our meets to have a look at the kit on offer. You'll find folks are only too happy to show you their kit and let you have a look through. :)

We have a meet on 12th April coming up, which could be an ideal introduction. Check here: http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/4419-april-12th-dark-site-meeting-at-wymeswold/?p=49260

Those who like us and decide to use our dark sites more often contribute to the costs at £20 each per year. The forum though, is and always will be... free! :D

Welcome to EMS!

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Richard,

Warm welcome to EMS. Not having any kit!, you have the mark one eyeball, first get a couple of books 'turn left at orion' and 'sky & telescope pocket star atlas' these will give you an idea of what is in the sky and where to find them, a pair of bino's is always a good start. And download a planetarium program, Stellarium is great and free, can be found here :--- http://www.stellarium.org/  ...

Hi Richard, a warm welcome to EMS.

You would be welcome to come and join us at the next meet, any questions you have could be answered, and if it's clear, you can have a look through some scopes.

Look forward to bumping into you soon.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Hello and welcome. We are all learning, some of us (me and you) are at the bottom of the learning curve, others are at the top.

There are thousands of resources online, and there ar ehundreds of areas to learn about. There are some basics about how the earth rotates and how the sky changes which are useful to know about (but actually quite tricky for a thickie like me to fully grasp) which are covered in most amateur astronomy books; there are loads of second hand ones on Amazon and ebay, and caharity shops often have some too; I love charity shops!

Getting to a meeting and see it all in action and talking to different people will really help and make it all more understandable too.

Good luck and happy enjoyment.

James

Hello and welcome to EMS. From some one else from sunny derbedos. Hope to see you at a meet soon.

Welcome to EMS-great to have you on board. As Damian (Damnut) says-next clear night go outside and look up with those two books he mentioned you'll be learning in no time :) you're more than welcome to look through my scope at the meet on Friday as I am sure you will be with others. We're a sociable friendly bunch.

Guest devil74

Hi Richard.

A welcome from all at EMS. You have certainly come to the right place to learn astronomy.

Like you I have started from the very beginning and have some kit now but not the scope...that is coming in a few weeks. As mentioned aboveget yourself iut on a clear night and just look up...if you have bino's thats even better. A really good resource for beginners and the more experienced is a little book called the Pocket Sky Atlas..I got it online from the bookdepository for £12...excellent value for what it teaches you.

Regarding a scope...EMS have a couple of loan scopes and once your a dark site member you can borrow one and get a taste yourself. I currently have the 8" dobsonian on loan for a few weeks.

Anyway hope you can make it to the meet on Friday.

Enjoy the forums.

Damian

Hi Richard and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

This forum is your best local resource cos not only do you get the advice you want - you also get the chance to mix with the folks and see the kit in action at meetings.

I occasionally have a few folks round for a session at my place and more than happy to run through and demo the type of scopes, mounts, and eyepieces available for a new member, and have a general chat on what to get. You'd be more than welcome to drop by.

Meantime enjoy the forum :)

Guest endure

Hi folks. Thanks for all the kind words of welcome. As a bit of a quid pro quo can I recommend a website called www.bookfinder.com if you're ever looking for a book. I've just bought a copy of Pocket Sky Atlas as recommended by Devil74 for £10.80 by using that site.

Edited by endure

• 4 weeks later...