• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Notts

xanthic

Hi all

I've just revived my stargazing after getting a scope again. I have a Sky Watcher 150p and have been lucky enough to get a few clear nights to start again.

Hi and welcome to EMS.

Any questions just fire away in the relevant section.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

Thanks guys. What is the best way to transport a scope? Any tips on keeping it from being rattled about in a car?

Hi Leigh and welcome to EMS. I just make sure my scope is wedged in with other stuff, eyepiece case, thick jacket etc to stop it rolling around and don't drive like Lewis Hamilton! Or with smaller scopes you could maybe make a foam lined box...

Angus

Hi there. I'm in west bridgford too (well the less classy compton acres end!).

Yes, i think transporting the scope is about minimising vibration (so have it on the padded back seat or in a padded case if it will fit) and minimising knocks and bangs (so being secure and wedged in place). And keeping the air temp down in the car so its not glowing hot when you arrive at you observing site.

James

As my OTA is about 5 foot in length (give or take a bit) I place mine on 2 old pillows across the back seat of my Astra (it just fits) and strap it in with the centre seatbelt. Never had any issues there.

Hi Leigh, a warm welcome to EMS.

Same here regarding scope transport, on the back seat and strapped in. Never had any problems, even over long distances.

We are having a quarterly meet at Wymeswold Dark Site this coming Friday, you would be very welcome to pop along and say hello. See the announcements section.

Meantime, enjoy the form. :)

Hello. Welcome to EMS. I sit my OTA on the foam pads that came in the box with it then wrap an old sheet around it and put the middle seat belt on. No problems so far.

Hi Leigh welcome to EMS

where about in Nottingham are you?  i'm Beeston way

Welcome again

Allan :lol: :lol:

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Leigh,

Welcome to EMS. All you need now are some clear nights a copy of 'turn left at orion', 'sky and telescope pocket star atlas' and a planetarium progrum, try stellarium its free and can be found here :-- http://www.stellarium.org/

Hi Leigh, welcome to EMS. :-)

We transport our 150p dob in the upright position. ;-)

@Allan - I'm in Compton Acres, the better half of West Bridgford ;)

Ahh posh part of Nottingham :lol: :lol:

Yeah, i'm quite happy here. Would be good if there was less light pollution.

James