• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

1st attempt at planetary imaging

T A WOW

After buying my little smartphone holder for my scope I thought i'd have a try at getting a snap or two of Jupiter.

They are hardly up to the standard of what Felix gets but I don't think they are to aweful considering my somewhat unsuitable imaging kit.

they were taken last Saturday 6th of April

kit used: skywatcher 250p ds OTA on skytee-2 alt az mount. (no fancy guiding or motors to track)

Baader Hyperion 5mm EP with Revalation Astro photo adapter smartphone holder

Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone

note. I could do with a higher mag EP so my next purchace will likely be a 3.5mm hyperion, or i may treat myself and get a 4 x powermate (mainly to increase F/length for easier planetary dealymobobs)

hope these photos dont offend your eyes to much :D

tobias

I took my avatar pic with my phone. Don't have a holder though. Were did you get yours from? Have you tried using the digital zoom?

I did put it on Facebook. Got 13 likes!!! Got the adapter off telescope house, but FLO have one the same for about £15 less

Edit: digital zoom is no substitute for optical zoom.

Edited by T A WOW

Yeah, astro images on facebook always get lots of likes from largely mon-astro friends.

James

Those are awesome considering they are taken with a smartphone Toby-good work :) clear band details-great stuff!

Guest Tinkerbell

Amazing what you can do with a smartphone!

I'm looking at your image on my mobile, & even so I can see the bands quite clearly!

very impressive, especially as it was your first attempt at planetary imaging!!

Well done!

Edited by Tinkerbell

Your first attempts are the reason we broke the "Most Online" record yesterday. I tweeted it on Twitter and folks were coming in to see! :D

Great first attempt.

Very nice first attempts Tobias - much better than mine with a 1000D on an 8" Sct lol. :)

And well done pulling in the crowds to see your pics !!