• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I need some planets and moons

philjay

Got this almost complete orrery at an auction along with some other stuff. These were built from weekly mags in 2007 or 8 I think and I must admit I was quite taken with them at the time but I could never be bothered with these mag things, so when I saw this almost dead one amongst a load of other stuff I thought it worth a look.

Ive just fiddled with it and tightened everything up but Im missing some important bits e.g. Mercury, Venus, Earth plus moon with 11 tooth gear, Mars plus moons, Ceres, Saturn plus moons, a moon for Uranus (Titania), Neptune and Triton, Pluto plus Charon and Erin.

The motor runs and the solar system is happily turning away on my dining room  table at the moment and its looking promising.

So if anyone has one they haven't finished or some parts I would be most interested in hearing from you. The planets and moons are easy enough to knock up on the lathe out of brass but the 11 tooth earth / moon gear would be difficult I reckon.

So anyone with a planet or 2 out there please let me know :)

The planets and moons are easy enough to knock up on the lathe out of brass.

What else would they be! :D

I have a fully working complete one - and all the mags to go with that I collected over a year. I also have a few spares where the mag was double delivered sometimes. I'll see if I have an 11-tooth gear but I doubt I have any planets.

It's a smashing thing to have built - even if it was a tad expensive. :)

Great stuff Kim, its the gear at the bottom of the earth and moon rod which spins the moon round the earth.

Its a nice looking thing when up and running, I really like it, just got to find somewhere to put it

I've got the Earth and Moon rod spare - but no 11-tooth gear. I have planets Pluto and Jupiter (with moons) spare too. I guess you could turn down one of the larger gears on your lathe and cut the gears into it to fit - I've got plenty of spare gears. We should get together and see what you can use. :)

Oh the magazines are all spiral bound and complete set - they have a picture of every part and I think the pics are actual size - which could help. Just looked at the website - you might be able to get back issues.

http://www.build-solar-system.com/uk/solar_system_uk.html

I dont know if its any help but I have a bread crate here full of plastic gears of all denominations.

If you can give me an idea of the diameter of your missing gear I can have a sort through this lot to see if I have one.

You could use it as is or use it as a pattern to file up a brass gear.

Ooooh this is what its all about, EMS comes to the rescue again.

Can I have the planets and the earth bar off you Kim if you don't need them, thatd be great. It came with the mags as well with full instructions, its quite a quality thing isn't it.

Graham, that's brilliant thanks for the offer, when I get the Earth and Moon rod I shall have some dimensions and I shall pm you if you don't mind.