• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rant Allert - Email to Derby City Council...

Perkil8r

Here is a copy of an email I have just sent to Derby City Council, I wonder if they will reply?

Dear Sirs,

I have a number of issues and questions relating to the collection of refuse and the storage of blue bins.

Blue Bins:

1, To whom do I send the invoice for storage of your blue bins? - I have no issue in having a blue bin along with all of the other bins and bags that we have to store, however you are now assuming I am willing to store your new bin until such time as you "hope" to start using it some 2 months away, then store the old, smaller bin for a further 4 months when you "plan" to start collecting the smaller old blue bins.

2, Are Derby City Council / Streetpride going to waste yet more public money by sending out a printed notification to each household to inform them of the actual date upon which we are allowed to use the larger blue bin which you will have been storing on our property for 2 months, then again when you intend collecting the smaller blue bin which we will have stored for 4 months after the launch of the larger blue bin collection?

Brown Bins:

1, you intend to stop collecting the brown bin after april 2014 yet state we may use it until oct 2013, which date is correct?

2, if you are not allowing us to use the brown bin after oct 2013 when do you intend taking away your property? Relating to the above situation with blue bins are you expecting us to allow you to store it on our property?

3, If you do wish to use our property to store your brown bin after it's retirement, to whom do I send the invoice?

4, You state that if we choose not to pay for a brown bin collection we are to put garden and food waste in the black bin. Is it ecologically sound for Derby City Council to be condemning recyclable material to landfill?

I look forward to your response including details of whom to send the invoice to.

Charges will be as follows:

Storage of Large Blue Bin until commencement of use 30p per day.
Storage of Small Blue Bin from date of last collection of said bin 20p per day.
Storage of Brown Bin from last collection under the current system 30p per day.

Fees will be payable monthly commencing 7 days from this notice (12th April 2013) and will be charged in advance. First invoice will include administration fee of £10.00. Terms 30 days from date of invoice.

Regards ...............

Good luck with that, you will get a standard e-mail back I bet, nothing else.

Ha Ha I love it Mike.

To simplify things could you not put the small blue bin in the large blue bin for recycling when it is deemed to be out of use :lol:

Amazing how much money out local councils waste isn't it.

I would love to see the response you get.

Keep us updated.

They may well simply suggest that you stick your head in your brown bin.

That would be quite funny.

:P

It's not all that much of an issue for us as we have quite a bit of space, but there are a lot of folks in the Derby City Area who simply don't have the room.

I also think it quite shocking that they are telling us to put garden waste in the landfill bin :o

Fair play to D.C.C. I've had a reply. It fails to answer all concerns, but I shall look forward to replying at greatlength once I have thought of all of the appropriate responses. I intend to leave no stone unturned :evil:

Dear Mr Perkins,

Further to your recent email regarding the above. Please find below:

1, To whom do I send the invoice for storage of your blue bins? - I have no issue in having a blue bin along with all of the other bins and bags that we have to store, however you are now assuming I am willing to store your new bin until such time as you "hope" to start using it some 2 months away, then store the old, smaller bin for a further 4 months when you "plan" to start collecting the smaller old blue bins.

We ask for householders to bear with us on this matter. However, if householders wish to they can take their old 140 litre blue bin the Raynesway Household Waste and Recycling Centre where it will be recycled.

2, Are Derby City Council / Streetpride going to waste yet more public money by sending out a printed notification to each household to inform them of the actual date upon which we are allowed to use the larger blue bin which you will have been storing on our property for 2 months, then again when you intend collecting the smaller blue bin which we will have stored for 4 months after the launch of the larger blue bin collection?

Answer: In order to maximise the response from the public, Waste Management will publicise the collection of old 140 litre bins in advance and we will ensure this is done as cost effectively as possible.

Brown Bins:

1, you intend to stop collecting the brown bin after April 2014 yet state we may use it until October 2013, which date is correct?

Answer: Both are correct, in order to prepare for the new service the council proposes to end the collection of brown bin waste at the end of the growing season at the end of October 2013 and restart the new garden waste service in April 2014.

2, if you are not allowing us to use the brown bin after October 2013 when do you intend taking away your property? Relating to the above situation with blue bins are you expecting us to allow you to store it on our property?

Answer: Those households who do not want to take part in the new service will have their brown bins collected when we collect the old 140 litre blue bins.

3, If you do wish to use our property to store your brown bin after it's retirement, to whom do I send the invoice?

Answer: See the answer above.

4, you state that if we choose not to pay for a brown bin collection we are to put garden and food waste in the black bin. Is it ecologically sound for Derby City Council to be condemning recyclable material to landfill?

Answer: Our advice is to home compost or take garden waste to Raynesway Household Waste and Recycling Centre. In the case of food waste the City Council will be campaigning for households to reduce their food waste which in the long run is a better option.

Councils lol what a waste of time. They spend millions pumping sand on to the beach here to act as a sea defence but don't want to know when pensioners need help clearing the sand that has blown onto their gardens, one house up the road from me had 4 tonnes blown on last week.. Council say its your problem. Brilliant :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is this Derby-wide? I live in Derby and haven't heard anything about this!

Yes as long as you are serviced by Derby City Council.