• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

UV / IR

dawson

After red dwarfs excellent talk last night it got me thinking about filters for webcamming.

When is it advisable to use either and IR or a UV filter? I am still just concentrating (when weather permits) on solar system objects.

What about with a DSLR when imaging DSOs?

Thanks

James

Standard DSLR has the IR cut filter in it

a lot of mods leave the IR in  unless its a full filter remaoval

then I would advise using an IR cut filter

Steve

Guest AstroOlly

As Steve said for DSLR imaging, my Canon 1000D has 2 filters but only 1 removed during the Mod, the other left in to give IR cut.

For webcams then usually you would always use an IR cut filter, i use an UV / IR cut filter  (bit more expensive) even though webcams are not very sensitive to UV so don't really need the UV part,  but if i ever go to Mono CCD imaging then it would be useful, the other name for these filters is an L filter or Luminence, for using when taking luminance shots with a CCD or Mono webcam, so will save me spending another £40 in the future.

I have the Astronomik UV/IR filter at about £38, there is also a Baader one now at around £45 but they are almost identical with wavelength cut off points, so may aswell have the cheaper one...

Hope that helps

Olly

Edited by AstroOlly