• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

One happy bunny a fully manual dob once more.

Doc

As some of you might be aware the 300P Auto dob I've got has never tracked well and the backlash on the gears is terrible, I have tried numerous times to fix this but I have had no luck.

Well today I removed the gears completely and now have a manual dob once more, with no backlash and perfect balance. It turns in Azimuth very well indeed, in Altitude I need to make up a 120mm x 3mm PTFE washer but even without this spacer it moves very well indeed, balance is spot on as well.

The job was very easy, took about 1 hour to complete, All the motors, encoders and covers are still in place only items I removed were the gears from the shafts.

Overall it's like my old 16" dob, fully manual, I'm one happy bunny now.

You know I love the techy goto stuff as it makes life easier sometimes but a lot of times it just complicates things and can if your not careful ruin a good night so getting back to basics with no goto/drives etc I can fully understand Mick, that's why I love my old F15, nowt to go wrong except me :D  

My auto dob (same model as Mick's) also packed up tracking for no apparent reason & if I can't fix it I'll be following suit. A warning then if anyone is ever thinking of buying a Sky-Watcher Flexi-tube auto dob (new if you can still get them, or second hand) - OTA great, tracking very dodgy indeed!

Thats it Phil, if it goes wrong it's my fault and no one elses, this is just the way I like it.

Shame that such an expensive add-on is not working as it should. Still, a 12 inch dob is an awesome scope even if it is manual.

I didn't buy it new so didn't pay to much for it Mark.

Same here, mine was less than a year old when I got it & the tracking worked beautifully at first. Don't know why it degraded.

The gears are aluminium and actually looked OK. The brass worm gear that connects to the encoder had some wear but again pretty small. 

It's easy to put back together so we will see what the next observing night brings.

Analogue Man. (Good tune)

Nice one Mick, saves messing about doesn't it.

Put computers on rifles, it will stop all wars. Well apart from the ones where they stab each other.

Regarding the spacer I have to make up.

I found 3 CD's are perfect for the job, they have exactly the right outside diameter and bore size.

Very smooth indeed.