• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

android as an astro tool.

tuckstar

Hi, the more I meet people the more I see android phones being used as an astro tool, and indeed I use mine as such.

So I thought I'd put together a list of apps that I use.

First off, sky safari. I don't have it but might consider getting it when I have a goto and a decent tablet. So can't comment any further other than I know a lot of people use it and rate it highly.

Stellarium is a good sky chart app but it is £2 and worth every penny, not as comprehensive as the free windows version but an app I use a lot.

Now the free ones.

Sky maps, you all know this one.

Skyeye, another good star finder point and info is there.

Astropanel, my bible, gives local info for seeing, visibility cloud cover etc.

Solar explorer, gives planetary positions, good for explaining orbits and positions.

Panstarrs finder, does as it says on the tin. I used this to find comet panstarrs first time I saw it.

Phases of the moon, moon info.

NASA, info + iss sighting, launch info etc.

Hubble space centre, Hubble info + photos.

Solar dynamic observatory, photos of sun activity.

Sky and telescope, general info. Might be a pay for app now.

Milkyway, info

Bubble level, to check level of mount.

Compass, for polar align under the clouds.

Some of these apps need a data connection and GPS enabled.

I also keep the Irish Fereration of Astro Societies messier object challenge as a PDF which is a full list of the messier odjects with small finder charts.

So thats my list please add the apps you use.

Edited by tuckstar

Forgot to mention night filter which reduces screen brightness and changes hue.

Edited by tuckstar

Got an iPhone? Keep on browsing "these are not the apps you are looking for" isheeple.

Satellite AR for identifying satellites in real time, plus Google sky map. I would try some of the others, but my HTC Desire has a very small amount of memory. Star Walk on the iPad.

Hi, the more I meet people the more I see android phones being used as an astro tool, and indeed I use mine as such.

So I thought I'd put together a list of apps that I use.

First off, sky safari. I don't have it but might consider getting it when I have a goto and a decent tablet. So can't comment any further other than I know a lot of people use it and rate it highly.

Stellarium is a good sky chart app but it is £2 and worth every penny, not as comprehensive as the free windows version but an app I use a lot.

Now the free ones.

Sky maps, you all know this one.

Skyeye, another good star finder point and info is there.

Astropanel, my bible, gives local info for seeing, visibility cloud cover etc.

Solar explorer, gives planetary positions, good for explaining orbits and positions.

Panstarrs finder, does as it says on the tin. I used this to find comet panstarrs first time I saw it.

Phases of the moon, moon info.

NASA, info + iss sighting, launch info etc.

Hubble space centre, Hubble info + photos.

Solar dynamic observatory, photos of sun activity.

Sky and telescope, general info. Might be a pay for app now.

Milkyway, info

Bubble level, to check level of mount.

Compass, for polar align under the clouds.

Some of these apps need a data connection and GPS enabled.

I also keep the Irish Fereration of Astro Societies messier object challenge as a PDF which is a full list of the messier odjects with small finder charts.

So thats my list please add the apps you use.

What about Samsung Galaxy S2?  Is that GPS enabled and does data connection just mean connecting to the internet rather than a fully working app that has all of its own information to use off line?

I'm using a galaxy nexus 3 running a jellybean custom rom. But all these apps should work on an s2. People using gingerbread won't be able to use stellarium but this is mostly older phones or lower spec like the galaxy ace for example.

S2 is GPS enabled and yes data connection is "internet" either WiFi or 3g.

The s3 is alot better phone than the s2, and with the s4 now realised you should be able to get a good deal, but dont get the s3 mini.

I've seen the S3 being offered for free on contract now (£26/month). Most apps like these tend to download most of their data on install with updates coming as and when.