• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Parallelogram mount for bino's.

DaveJW

Well, I think Rob has built a whole observatory in the time it has taken me to do this, but I've finally got a working bino mount together. It's not "finished" (and may never be!) but it is useable: tried it on the back yard. Here are some pics:-

Major wooden parts:-

DSCN0100_zpsfa5449f9.jpg

Small wooden parts:-

DSCN0101_zps28410d2a.jpg

Close up of some of the small bits:-

DSCN0102_zpse61c63c8.jpg

Metal parts, lazy susan bearing from Ebay, the rest from B&Q

DSCN0105_zpsa1a8112c.jpg

Mount set up on GC5 tripod

DSCN0110_zps949add1b.jpg

Other side

DSCN0115_zps22f83f00.jpg

DSCN0113_zpsb8bc4a4f.jpg

DSCN0112_zpsca5a00e0.jpg

Close up of swiveling bit at bino end:

DSCN0117_zpse1bad23f.jpg

Close up of counter balance:

DSCN0116_zps952087a1.jpg

DSCN0114_zps78f43f3d.jpg

That looks awesome Dave! I just do not have the craft skills to be able to build something like that. I realy need one for the bib bins but will probably end up buying a metal jobby

Blimey that does look good, and all the wood has such nice rounded corners. Looks like you paid a lot of money for a hand crafted bit of kit, but even more rewarding that you did it yourself :) It makes those of us with no DIY skills feel very inadequate!

Now for some clear nights.

Great work.

James

Thanks for the nice comments folks, was hoping to take it up Belper tonight but the forecast seems to have worsened.

That looks awesome Dave! I just do not have the craft skills to be able to build something like that. I realy need one for the bib bins but will probably end up buying a metal jobby

Would like to see if your 25x100s will fit the mount some time Felix - those in the pics are are 20x80s. Do you known what yours weigh?