• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First attempt with the Atik 314 L

Graham

Well here my first attempt with the Atik 314 L

Not much of a clue what I was doing.

Helios 200 Newt.

Only 10 x 300 second subs

11 Flats which probably did more harm than good.

Stacked in DSS

Sort of processed in PS 6

I say sort of because everything is back to front on the curves histograme.

Quite pleased at a first attempt though.  :)

M101-15.04.jpg

Thanks to Steve for getting my histo back round the right way.

Heres a reprossed version.

M-101-15.04.2013-2ND.jpg

Edited by Graham

My God, that's beautiful, and for a first attempt, excellent. Very inspiring for me. Did you autoguide, or was it just polar aligned? Was that the full field shown that the CCD chip captured? Where did you buy the atic 314L from.  

My God, that's beautiful, and for a first attempt, excellent. Very inspiring for me. Did you autoguide, or was it just polar aligned? Was that the full field shown that the CCD chip captured? Where did you buy the atic 314L from.  

Hi mate.

Thanks it will do as a start.

I have just added a reprocessed version now Steve aka ibbo has told me how to get the histo in the curves round the right way.

It was guided.

The reprocessed version is near enough full size.

Sheila bless her heart has lent me the 314 to try out to see how I get on with it.

Well done Graham :thumbsup: 2nd one is much better IMO

Cheers Mike.

I would have to agree with you there.

Mind it does help when adjusting the curves it does what you expect it to do :lol:

Hi mate.

Thanks it will do as a start.

I have just added a reprocessed version now Steve aka ibbo has told me how to get the histo in the curves round the right way.

It was guided.

The reprocessed version is near enough full size.

Sheila bless her heart has lent me the 314 to try out to see how I get on with it.

Why is the second one better? The first one has a darker sky (black) but the second one is grey? Is there more detail in the spiral? I wished I could do this sort of result. With my 8.75" Fullerscope and mains syncronous motors, I have little chance of guiding by PC control, so I'll probably have to buy a complete set of new equipment. But I'd still use the 8.75" for piggyback, webcam, and possibly manual guiding using the main scope as a guide scope. My VFO doesn't have a slow rate on RA, I have to just turn it off then on and let the guide star drift. But I can speed up the RA.  I need to learn the kit you chaps are using so I know what to buy.  Just received my copy of "Every Photon Counts".  I also have Digital astrophotography - a guide to capturing the cosmos by Stefan Seip, and the complicated book - A handbook of astronomical image processing - by Richard Berry and James Burnell (cost me £80 and no colour images in it).

Great images Graham I agree secound one has more detail

Stephen

Guest Kheldar

Cracking effort Graham, again as above second process much better :)

Why is the second one better? The first one has a darker sky (black) but the second one is grey?

Second one has much more detail visible than the first and here's the big secret .... space isn't really true black :o

Edited by Kheldar

Thanks Andy.

you could say that :lol:

I used a bat mask and bat grabber to focus it.