• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Loan scope first outing

Guest devil74

Guest devil74

Morning people

So last night I couldn't make WW so at the last minute I decided to get the loan scope out at about 8pm. I gave it a while to cool down etc but having no dew prevention I knew I would only get a couple of hours in.

I first turned it on our brightest neighbor, the moon. I was even blown away just looking at this. I was viewing with the 20mm EP and it looked beautiful.  I even managed to get some cracking pictures with my phone (have a look in the 'image gallery' section under 'lunar' and my post is called (very originally titled) 'My first time pics'. I was well pleased with them for phone pics.

Whilst doing all this I had my son, daughter and stepson out there with me..they loved seeing all the craters and ridges on the moon.

Anyway after a while we turned to Jupiter and with the same EP could just mange to see 2 bands. I also viewed with the super wide 25mm EP and this seemed a little crisper...maybe this was due to its slightly lower mag.

I tried both EPs with the 2x barlow but there wasn't enough travel on the focuser - I vearly nearly got it with the 25mm though (i dont know if i was doing something wrong or just trying to push it too far).

We waited until about 10.30 ish until Saturn was just about out of the light pollution and again we managed easily see the ring...albeit it was quite a tiny image but the kids absolutely loved it..I think I have bred two more stargazers  :)

So that's was the loan scopes very first outing and it performed very well. Only some higher mag EPs would have made it slightly better viewing.

Damian

Great write up damian. Lovely to read and lovely to hear how the little ones got involved too.

I'm off to look at your images.

J

Great write up Damian, and great to see the scope doing what it was intended to do. :D

I'm adding 9mm and 15mm eyepieces to the loan scope. If you're there tonight at Wymeswold I'll bring them along.

Sounds like a good first session - glad you enjoyed it :)

Nice report there Damian.

I'm glad you have got to use it at last, and you had a  fan club as well, marvellous. :)  I'll bet the kids won't forget that in a good while.