• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My first attempt at Saturn

T A WOW

So I went to Wymeswold on Friday and Saturday night with SWMBO in tow and managed to get my first ever view of Saturn.

Absolutely amazing!

2uqy4edy.jpg

synesu8y.jpg

Both pictures taken using my Samsung galaxy S3. Skywatcher 250P DS OTA. Baader Hyperion 5mm EP. No tracking or guiding.

Great. Lovely to see stuff through your scope last night too, thank you, and thanks for lending me eye pieces, i need to buy my own i know!

James

Nice one Tobias.

She is a beatuiful sight isn't she.

You do realise now you have taken a photo you are on the road to the dark side :lol:

Nice!!! :D  :D  :D still trying to get a good image of Saturn had too much wind last night :(

That breeze not my stomach :blush:

Allan

Great shot Tobias-good to meet you last night and see the work I art that is your tripod :)

Lovely images Tobias and a pleasure to see Saturn again after so many years.  Because of this, I had to go to my old sketch book and found some drawings of Saturn I made in 1983 using my 8.75 inch NR at 133x and 216x mag.  I was impressed with the software program apps for mobile phones showing the positions of the satellites.  Out of curiosity, I wondered if it is possible to go back in time on the app and generate a picture of Saturn's satellites for the dates of my observations?  Can anyone check and cross correlate my 1983 observations and put some names to the satellites?  My drawings would be what I saw through the reflector, inverted - south at top.

Yes it is possible to go back.

Your first pic

Your second pic

Enjoy.

Edit: poo. Got the date on the first one wrong. :facepalm:

2nd edit: never mind.

Edited by T A WOW

Thanks. I can't work them out which ones are which on my drawing. How does the program express the results? North at bottom, south at top as in an astro telescope, or N at top, S at bottom as in terrestrial scope of astro scope with a diagonal added?  I also get confused a bit with whether E and W are reversed in astro scopes (???).

On the date for the first one, I'm just wondering if it was midnight, 00:00 hrs at the beginning of the 16 April (and not 15 April). The reason I think this is because there's a drawing of an observation of mercury I made and it's dated 15 April and I assume I stayed out late that day and watched Saturn at the start of 16 April and mercury earlier on 15th April (it's more likely my observing session went that way rather than starting a late nighter on 16 April and packing up, then starting again same day to observe mercury in the evening twilight).

But thanks again. I'd like to understand what the view is though for the satellites.

The views on the screen shots are how they would look to the naked eye, if you could zoom in that much! I think you're right on the date thing, i thought that too this morning.

Tobias

Thanks. I'll have a look and see if I can match up the satellites, and look up their mags as a test to my equipment.

Derek