• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New dob

Guest devil74

Guest devil74

I am now the proud owner of a 10" Orion Optics Dob. Woohoo.

I'll get some pictures on tomorrow as I've only just got back.

Well done mate thought we might of got a pic :D

will wait till tomorrow then :screwloose:

did you have a good time at WW last night did a bit here but need less light

well done on the new Dob

Allan :D :D :D :D :D

Nice one! The only problem now is that you need some chunky eye pieces to go with it :)

I'm looking forward to seeing it in action soon.

J

Guest devil74
Guest devil74

Yes its brand spanking condition...he was a real nice bloke, upgrading to an observatory and 16" in the backyard.

I'm really pleased with it for £300 :frantic: ...the mirror is nice and clean, tube is in tip top condition. I will have to get some help to check whether its collimated or not, he said it was but its not been used for a while so will need checking. Best get some decent eyepieces now i suppose. 

That is a beauty. Congratulations  Damian.

Don't worry about collimation, that's probably not far out, if at all. We can sort that next time we bump into each other.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wayne
I am now the proud owner of a 10" Orion Optics Dob. Woohoo.I'll get some pictures on tomorrow as I've only just got back.
hi Damian what's your metal stand like? I'm thinking of getting one. I'd like to have a look at yours if possible. I also have a 10" Orion optics. I was going to build one. But I like the look of the mettle one. Cheers.

Wayne :-)

Guest devil74

Hi wayne.

Sorry for the delayed response...not been on much lately as I've been to busy.

Anyway the metal base is great...I find it much much smoother than the lazy susan, maybe that just needs more friction. It just seems much easier to nudge if you know what I mean. I was a bit weary when I brought it but now I love it.

Dont know what you do for height but I been busy making a box for it to stand on (I get a bad back easy ta see) and I can also get the battery in there too.

YOu mentioned about flocking yours I think...well I did mine yesterday. It was so easy. The tool (if you can call it that) that made it easy was a can of furniture polish. As I unrolled the material I just pressed it down with that.

Anyway mate if you want to pop round have a look/have a go then feel free. I'm free most nights,just not Wednesdays.

Damian

Guest Wayne

Like wise. Sorry for the delay in reply. Too much to do. It all sounds good to me. Yes I'd like to see it at some point. I'll let you know. Thanks again. I really like the idea of making a table to put it on. But I'm a bit like Richard Hammond in that department lol.

As regards to flocking, Cazz has volunteered....

....hopefully :-\

Guest devil74

I made this box for the Dob to sit on. Cost me about a fiver as i got the MDF from work. Sat on this it just raises the focuser to a nice level. Its handy too because I can put the battery in there. 

The three holes i have made in the top of the box, thats what the three feet of the actual dob base sit in. I didnt want it moving around so this seemed the obvious thing to do. The only problem I have now is that being square (and the dob base is square) i can't fit a setting circle, or i think i cant. So if anyone has any ideas let me know ( i think there are pics of the base in the opening message of this thread if that helps).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfkrwwzydm51gd5/20130505_190511.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/abna6hki09ezosr/20130505_190526.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/de4z5ega3f2otmc/20130505_190548.jpg

Oh and also my homemade dewshield:  :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v413z2gj8xyfkyy/20130505_192245.jpg

Damian

Edited by devil74

Looks really good Damian.

If you want to pop round, I'm in any night but remember go to work around 20.30.

Just give me a ring first.

Guest devil74

That's great Mick thank you - your a gent. How about Thursday?

Hope you enjoyed your weekend away...did you do some twitching while down there? We went to pub for dinner today and sat next to River Trent watching all the boats...was so nice in the sun (of course a few pints too :) ).