• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NEQ6 pro vs AZ EQ6

dawson

Why would advanced amateurs want a mount to work in AZ mode for an extra £400?

What are the advantages of the AZ EQ6 over the standard NEQ6 Pro?

James

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-neq6-pro-synscan.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-az-eq6-mount.html

Guest Kheldar

Better engineering (all round, build, finish, connectors, adjusters)

Smaller (same weight capacity)

Encoders

Visual use (AZ) plus two scopes

If I didn't have a 6 I'd have one in a second, but as I do the benefit of upgrading probably isn't worth it ... but those encoders sing to me as an imager

Edited by Kheldar

Guest Kheldar

Oh and I've just found out it can do periodic error correction on the mount and control a DSLR shutter from the SynScan handset - nice features :)

Ok, thanks.

Food for thought.

I'll look at Rob's observatory tonight and have a think about what I could potentially achieve in my back garden. Lots of permutations.

James

are the innards of the two the same though with regards the worm gears and things I know nothing about?

Guest Kheldar

are the innards of the two the same though with regards the worm gears and things I know nothing about?

AZ-EQ6 has belt drive

Kim and felix are bad influences on me. They made me look at the az eq6 on the flo website and i seemed to have accidentally clicked the purchase button.

I'm going to need lots of help working out which end is which!

Thanks kim and felix, i owe you one... :)

James

If you look at bigger/better scopes, keep your hands in your pockets!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yeah a new ota at some stage, i'm not currently in a rush, still thinking about what i want.

James

As you know, now's the time to decide what you want to look at/photo ?? Take your time and try all the different aspects during the Summer and then decide perhaps ready for EMS2?

Offers still open re the new mount!  :)

Ron

I think i'll have my first go at putting it together on thursday as long as it arrives by then; flo have been very good at getting it sent out direct from their supplier as there stocks have been depleted. They also gave me a £26 refund as they did a price match without me asking.

If i get no luck sorting it out, and kim isn't free (as he's also offered to help me out as long as he gets a go!) then i may well head sleaford way again. Thank you.

I'm not planning to rush into buying a new ota, but keeping an eye on abs for a Catadioptric scope; that 10" mak looks good, but i'm not keen on the £5000 price tag! Haha

James