• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

free science books.

tuckstar

Sweet. Looks like soom good books on there. I suspect most will be well over my head though!

• 2 weeks later...

If books are shared legally i don't see a problem, and it is useful for people who are doing a bit of research and don't want/need the whole book or for people who can't afford a book.

I've just checked about 10 books at random and they are either Creative Commons licenced, public domain or marked as free in the title. If it's above board then I don't see any issue.

As long as the authors aren't getting ripped off. Illegal downloads of my books outnumber sales. Being of special interest genre, astronomy writers aren't paid like JK Rowling.

Blame Google's project Gutenberg , like I said like it or loath it. Personally I still prefer to sit down with a real made o' trees book.

@Phil - Your paperbacks are expensive (in comparison to a Rowling novel, for instance) but I think that's fair because they are for a niche subject and have short run prints - expensive to produce, to store etc. Harry Potter and the like are cheaper because of the high volume runs and fast sales. Your e-books (Kindle) however, are only fractionally cheaper than the paper copies. I don't believe they are at a price point where most people would readily part with their hard earned cash for a non-physical item.

I'm addicted to real books, and don't like to get rid of any, but have almost run out of room for more bookshelves. Kindle is great for taking on holiday. I sometimes buy novels (usually sci fi or Clive Cussler) for Kindle, but have had bad experiences with more technical, astronomy type books on Kindle. Pictures don't look good and formulae and tables often get messed up.  So I now only buy real paper factual and text books which I think are great value for money. I can happily spend a few hours in Waterstones.

It is a real shame if illegal downloads of Phils (or anyones books) outnumber sales. Illegal downloading of books should be stopped, but I'm all for sharing free information if the author is in agreement with that.

@Phil - Your paperbacks are expensive (in comparison to a Rowling novel, for instance) but I think that's fair because they are for a niche subject and have short run prints - expensive to produce, to store etc. Harry Potter and the like are cheaper because of the high volume runs and fast sales. Your e-books (Kindle) however, are only fractionally cheaper than the paper copies. I don't believe they are at a price point where most people would readily part with their hard earned cash for a non-physical item.

I'm really stuck with Springer or a mainstream publisher for now at least and I know how complex the production process is. I'm surprised that Kindle books are not much cheaper, though, but then most publishers are not registered charities.