• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Modding the Skytee 2

T A WOW

So I'm starting to get a bit annoyed about the lack of rigidity on my mount. (even though it's supposed to be heavy duty) so I've taken it apart to have a look and see what I can do to firm it up.

Pic of the insides.

The only supporting diameter is just below the gear (the splined bit) and it only holds on about 5mm so it doesn't provide much rigidity. Also it appears to be made to Skywatchers usual high standard of manufacturing /sarcasm.

So it appears all l need to do is make a shim to fit nice and snugly over the main body shaft and into base part. Should be easy enough.

Edited by T A WOW

Just counterweights. Not enough of them, but even if they were enough it would still flex/move about due to the design/construction. Just trying to firm it up to prevent wobble while observing.

That should give it a bit more stability Tobias, I must admit to preferring my Giro II over the Skytee, not as versatile but I have had a C11 on one side and a 102 refractor on the other, very stable, no slop

Could be, my only concern would be that I manufactured it to + or - 0.001" tolerance to make it effective and i don't much fancy mass produced stuff from china would hold up to those tolerances.

Well it turns out my mods don't work all the time. Turns out that my mount is nice and steady, however it won't rotate in azimuth. Whoops. Try again.

Well, after seeing your superbly engineered tripod last night at Wymeswold, I'm sure you will get the Skytee working spot on soon Tobias.

That tripod is a really professional job.

Put it back to standard for now. I'll have a look at some bearings, that'll stop it binding :D

I did. The problem is that all the parts that fit together in the mount to form the shaft are not concentric, and I don't fancy machining that (while it's still in warranty anyway) if I put bearings into it I need only locate off the shaft so to avoid that problem.