• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Finder Brackets

philjay

Been busy over the past couple of days making new finder brackets for my old 4" F15. The original 25mm finder looks nice but is next to useless and the 50mm Poyser finder I fitted to the tube is great but doesn't look right perched so far up the tube and my rings for it look out of era. So I have made a set from scratch.

To look as original as possible I have tried to make the look cast even though they are fabricated from ali, this is easy to do if you use lots of araldite in the joints, when they are screwed up tight the araldite squeezes out then you can shape it to form a web across the joint. Once painted it looks OK

Here's the focuser with original finder and the 50mm Poyser finder I'm wanting to fit in its place

Test fitting. They looked a bit too meaty when I test fitted them so after this and before painting I shaped them a little to make them look a little more elegant

So refreshing to see some nice old brass scope stuff. I love the phone as well :)

Looks a really fine job, and the bigger finder will be a big advantage.

Yep Ive got to relacquer the focuser body sometime, I made a bit of a dogs dinner last time, so it will be getting a brasso job soon Ron.

The phone is another restoration job Pete, in the process of converting it from old belgium workings to new bt stuff

This mod should make life a bit easier for bagging the fainter doubles. I had difficulty reaching it at times in its old position

Looks very nice indeed. Very nicely crafted, especially as you don't cheat like l do on a CNC Machine :D