• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NGC 281 3 November 2012 reprocess

Antares_Paul

Having found the fits file on Dropbox, I decided a reprocess was warranted. The original was a red blob on a black background in my opinion and as my processing software has changed since the image was taken I was sure I could make a more natural looking image to present. It's lacking in data of course (only 42 minutes).

NGC 281;

Pacman_031112_zpsd943500d.png

21x120s ISO 800. 11 darks.

ED120DS-PRO, 0.85FR, Canon 450d full spectrum.

Astronomik CLS-CCD.

Still having not got a run together with the Ha filter, I'll revisit this later in the year and attempt an HaRGB.

As usual, thanks for looking.

Regards.

Thats a little cracker Paul.

You say you have changed your software?? what are you using now ??.

Graham, I have 99% switched to PixInsight.

I still stack the original subs with Nebulosity 3

The writers of PixInsight are pushing for full 64 bit so are currently warning of lack of updates for 32 bit software starting very soon.

Bit of a bummer for us Windoze 32 bit users after spending £140'ish

I'm still receiving updates but expect that to stop soon. Current package is very stable. DBE (dark background extraction) is a VERY good tool and almost worth the full software price on it's own. I haven't committed 100% to PI but there are many, many more functions than I'll ever need.

Regards.

Graham, I have 99% switched to PixInsight.

I still stack the original subs with Nebulosity 3

The writers of PixInsight are pushing for full 64 bit so are currently warning of lack of updates for 32 bit software starting very soon.

Bit of a bummer for us Windoze 32 bit users after spending £140'ish

I'm still receiving updates but expect that to stop soon. Current package is very stable. DBE (dark background extraction) is a VERY good tool and almost worth the full software price on it's own. I haven't committed 100% to PI but there are many, many more functions than I'll ever need.

Regards.

Just had a look and it does look very impressive.

But as you say it no longer supports a 32 bit computer so it is not going to be an option for me.

I love my XP and will fight until the very last to keep using it. :lol:

That's a lovely image, and with such a small amount of data it's all the more impressive.

Off-topic: If you are going to continue using XP for the longer term you need to be aware that the extended support for it stops next year. You'll want to cease using it for the internet, or risk it being compromised.

Many thanks all for the comments.

I'm a Windows 8 user (and have the battle scars, from sourcing working drivers, to prove it)  :wallbash:

But, yes, what Craig said ...

Regards.