• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

MARS

cosmic dave

The scope is set up and the sky is clear so I am going to do my first mars obs of the year tonight, there is also a chance of seeing the northern lights acording to the weatherman they say you could see them from yorkshire last night !!!

Skies are clear here in Cranwell, have a good time!

Cheers thanks for the heads up ! at least I know we have no cloud coming this way yet :D

Good luck Dave , I'm stuck at work.

Cheers Guys, its actually not to cold out there at the moment, I suppose the sea air is keeping the frost at bay :D :D :D

How did you get on, any aurora activity last night, I was out for a few hours last night hoping to see some, but no :(

No aurora unfortunately, good view of mars polar cap (took a good 20 Min's to see it) very dewy, 2 degrees no frost but damp, I am wondering if I should keep all my hardware outside in the shed/observatory and run a dehumidifier permanently ???

Some one suggested somwhere (might be here or on SGL) that you buy a decent scope cover and then run a 20watt light bulb under it, apparently keeps the dew off and the electric bill down.

mmmm its a thought, I was outside last night and with the neighbours lights on and off and the old peoples home behind us had the reception lights on, got to thinking if I really waterproofed that old shed and made a lightweight detachable roof I could be comfy and away from all that stray light and dew.

Sounds like a project, good luck with that, be sure to put some pics up if you go ahead and build your obsy!

Its would be nice, the shed I have got in mind is the one one my dad (who has since past away) gave me to house my 60mm tasco scope back in 1986 ! It used to be in Lincoln (I used to live there) but I cut it up and moved it over here and rebuilt it ! Its small but solid and I'm sure my old man would be happy to see a scope back in there.

I'm sure he would Dave, an observatory is the way to go, really cuts down on your set up time, and cuts out the dreaded light pollution glow and security lights etc. And above all kkeps you a little bit warmer.