• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

RGO Photgraphic Plates

Brantuk

Courtesy of Royal Greenwich Observatory Astronomical Society members, I have acquired 16 photographic plates of various deep sky objects. These are copies of original plates taken from the SRC 1.2 meter Schmidt Telescope at Siding Springs Australia. I also have one plate from the ESO 1 meter Schmidt Telescope on La Silla in Chile.

I've no idea what the objects are on them - but I think they are a bit of astronomical photography history (seeing as it's all digital ccd work now).

They are not so much "for sale" as they are "up for grabs" for a contribution to club funds.

The original owner simply said get what you can for them and we'll split the funds 50:50. So I'm pricing them as follows:

1 plate of your choice for a minimum contribution of £5 each

Money raised will be distributed 50% to club finds and 50% to the original owner. You can buy more than one and it's first come first served until they are all gone.

I will bring them to the next meet for inspection - or you can reserve one via pm to me.

Here's a link to more info about them - I should've mentioned they are part of a survey of southern hemisphere skies. Apparently Pluto was discovered using this technique:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_plate

How big are they? Colour or b&w? Are they something which could be framed and used like a picture or do they need to be held up to the light like an x ray film?

If they can be used as a picture i'd like a couple.

James

They're essentially negatives in b/w James. About the size of an old 12" LP. They come in a paper sleeve/envelope thing. I don't know how you'd turn them into an image or colour them in - but someone might know how to do it and maybe apply a Hubble style palette in Photoshop or something. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.