• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astro Related Quotes

Perkil8r

Saw this pic on Faceache and had to share it, anybody got any more?

575444_586107951410220_4876132_n.jpg

And the WILL be a public flogging for the first person to quote "Houston we have a problem" :bat:

Edited by Perkil8r

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.†
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

"Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds" 

Robert Oppenheimer after he lit the blue touchpaper of the first atomic bomb in the New Mexico desert. Our fist Earthly experience of what goes on in our nearest star - and all the others we admire with our telescopes.

And when you consider that some stars can be thousands and millions of times larger than ours........ the mind is mesmerised by what we can't conceive.

I like Sagan's line at the start of one of the Cosmos episodes: "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the Universe." 

Edited by Tibbz2

With every passing hour our solar system comes forty-three thousand miles closer to globular cluster M13 in the constellation Hercules and there are some misfits who continue to insist that there is no such thing as progress.

"The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together" Carl Sagan

Milky-way ------ The sweet you can eat between meals without ruining your appetite. 

A Mars a day helps you work rest and play.

Ok ok I'll get me coat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, sorry couldn't resist. :blush::facepalm::lol:

"That may have been a small one for Neil, but it sure was a long one for me!" Pete Conrad.

"It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract." Alan Shepherd.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."

Roy Batty - Nexus Six Replicant - Bladerunner by PK Dick.

Name that car :)

440px-BladeRunner_Spinner.jpg

Spinner. You would have to pick on my favourite film of all time, Kim!

For me, one of the most meaningful speeches was by JFK on the Moon landings:

There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in outer space as yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation many never come again. But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

Okay, there are lots more which no doubt have greater meaning or are far less egotistical (as a nation rather than a person) but it certainly stirs emotion IMO.

"If we die, we want people to accept it. We're in a risky business, and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."

A prophetic quote from Gus Grissom (who probably would have been the first on the moon, rather than Armstrong).

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.â€

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

"My god it's full of stars"

Bowman 2001 Space Odyssey

and

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"

Carl Sagan Cosmos