• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

help with raw files and dss software

red dwalf

never had this poroblem before using raw canon files, but i was attempting to load the raw files in deep sky stacker but the files only show a small area of the image that was taken, look full lenght but only about a quarter to a third of the width, when i load the jpg files that were taken with the raw files they load fine and the full image is visable.

any help please with what i`m doing wrong.

the slim file only says it has a pixel width of 1088 instead of the full pixel width of the chip which should be around 4278 ish

Edited by red dwalf

Guest Kheldar

If you aren't already running it, download the latest DSS beta from the yahoo groups website - normally solves that problem

Yeah, don't use the latest release (V3.3.2 I think) use the V3.3.3 build 45 or whatever beta.

The numbers above probably aren't right but you get the idea.

Have you loaded the raws into any other software?

Edited by xanthic

Sorry, I'll rephrase the question - are you able to load the raw files into any other software, e.g the bundled Canon suite or Photoshop etc?

not really tried, photoshop won`t open cr2 raw files withoiut first converting them with another bit of software "dng" converter.

it did work fine on the laptop i took to hereford, so i`ll giuve it a go on there, hopefully it`s the beta version of dss that i need as mentioned above, i`ll check the laptop to see what version i`m running on that.

I had exactly the same problem, I followed Stephen's advice and downloaded the beta version.

It now shows the full image but only uses 1 frame, so it's still not stacking RAW files. Works ok with tif or jpg, not ideal.

I've not had any trouble opening my raw files in DSS from either my 550D or 5D mkIII. I use "Camera Raw" to view my files inside Photoshop as I always shoot Raw.