• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Greetings: Whitwick / Loughborough

Al.Grant

Greetings all,

Just joined following a recommendation on SGL. I live in Whitwick and work In Loughborough.  

Like the idea of getting to some local events and tapping into some local knowledge on good locations.

Current equipment:

Skymax 127 AZ GoTo 

Modified Philips SPC900 webcam

Binoculars - Celestron Skymaster 15x70

Have been interested in science/astronomy etc for a long time but only had my scope for about 18 months, so at the stage where enthusiasm exceeds experience and aspirations exceed budget!

Planning on a scope upgrade in the next few weeks, but will be visiting the International Astronomy Show on 17/18 May (I'll be going on the 17th), so holding off on any decision until then. 

Al

Hi Al. I've got the same scope and mount, but just got a new equatorial mount, and now looking at scopes too, and like you I'm holding off until the Astronomy Show in a few weeks, though I've been in touch with First Light Optics and they have my current favourite scope in stock and could get it out in a day or two if I needed.

Welcome here, it's really good and friendly. It's also nice ot be able to put people to online profile, and learn that there are lots of people who actually live pretty close (nearly at the back of my house in one case!).

We've got a dark site we use in Wymeswold which is not too far from Loughborough, and another in Belper. Someone will be able to give you the ins and outs of that I'm sure.

Do you have any of your images I could see, I want to compare. I use a modified Quickcam Pro 4000 at present, but again I'm thinking about something else, but waiting for the IAS.

Good to cyberly meet you.

James

Welcome

where enthusiasm exceeds experience and aspirations exceed budget!

so true, so true...

Hello and welcome to EMS.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome .... obviously a very active and friendly bunch here at EMS.

Hi Al and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

Hope we see you at a session soon - meantime enjoy the forum and feel free to post any questions you have in the beginners section!

Hi Al welcome to the EMS :D

Stephen

Hi Al, welcome. I'm in Loughborough area.  Wymeswold site is great.

Derek

Guest wisewoman

Hello,

Theres a few of us in Loughborough  :)

Welcome to the forum

Melissa

Edited by wisewoman

Hi Alastair, a warm welcome to the forum.

The 127 SkyMax is a belting lunar and Planetary scope, but is a bit limited to the brighter DSO's due to it's longer focal length.

Please feel free to ask about which scope you may be planning to buy, some are excellent value, some are good value for the money, and others should only be used as patio planters. 

I feel deep pocket syndrome may be in early onset!  Have a great day at the exhibition. :)

Enjoy the forum.

Thanks again for the welcome messages - been away for a few days so couldn't respond sooner.

Will be trying to pop over to the Wymeswold site at some point in the near future to say 'hi'.

Still struggling with 'scope upgrade' syndrome, may be cured by a visit to the Int Astronomy Show on the 17th.

• 3 weeks later...