• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

International Astronomy Show

Streetbob

Just received a present of tickets to the IAS @ Leamington Spa on May 18th, including 2 talks.  Exciting stuff.  Only concern is the state of my credit card at the end of the day.  Guess may be best to leave it behind. :D

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dawson

• Orion

• red dwalf

• Al.Grant

See you there Doug,

I'll be attending on the 18th, looking forward to it,

A lot nearer than the London astrofest and a lot better parking !

I have a couple of credit cards with no credit on them, I'll try to restrain myself.

If we get 10 or more people going we can get a society discount of 10 %

I've also been booked into a couple of the talks.  No 6 & 9 I think.

I'm there for most of the talks. I fall asleep easily in lectures and the like, so throw something at me if you hear snoring from the back :)

JD

Hi,

Looks like I'll be going on the Friday 17th   (Can't make the 18th due to work!).

No talks booked.

Why is everything happening that weekend? This as well as another show I wanted to go to are on then but Im working so wont be able to make it. Was hoping to support a non london based show, ah well next time eh

I might be tempted to go to look at the kit - if I'm going to need to buy some new stuff eventually.  Will one day be enough to get through all stands if talks are missed? Otherwise, would it need a Fri and Sat job? and is anyone staying over on Fri night? (I think it's about an hours drive from Loughborough?).

I think a day will be enough to look over the stands. I suspect the saturday will be busier as more people will be off work and able to go.

I was going to stay over but i'm just going to drive both days.

James

I think a day will be enough to look over the stands. I suspect the saturday will be busier as more people will be off work and able to go.

I was going to stay over but i'm just going to drive both days.

James

Okay James, I'll think about going to at least one of the days. See you there, Derek

If anybody is interested in Olivier Thizy's talk 'Spectroscopy with (very) small telescopes' on Friday 17th then this pdf file may be of interest.

Olivier Thizy - small scope spectroscopy

Looks good, but not something I can get into at the moment.  Already too much to learn!

If anybody is interested in Olivier Thizy's talk 'Spectroscopy with (very) small telescopes' on Friday 17th then this pdf file may be of interest.

Olivier Thizy - small scope spectroscopy

Looks good, but not something I can get into at the moment.  Already too much to learn!

Had a quick look through at the first 20-30 slides.  Looks very good, colourful. I've downloaded it to print off when the time comes, but as you say, too much to learn.  Derek

Had a quick look through at the first 20-30 slides.  Looks very good, colourful. I've downloaded it to print off when the time comes, but as you say, too much to learn.  Derek

To be honest I get the principles of how this works ... but the actual formulae & physics etc quickly move beyond my level of understanding .....

...I did once see Simon Singh electrocute a gherkin to demonstrate the spectrum of sodium emissions. I found the electrocution of pickles easier to get to grips with   :D

See you all there on the Saturday! :)

How will we recognise each other. I've only met a few of you in the dark wrapped up with hats, scarves and balaclavas on ;)  Perhaps we could have an EMS label on our coats :)

Guest endure

I'm going on Friday. All I shall be buying is a 32mm Plossl and some sort of Telrad/Rigel/red dot finder. Honest!

Edited by endure

I've no idea what ibbo looks like, but i've got an idea about mike, seen him in the dark several times :)

I won't be sporting a monkey outfit on this occasion.

;)

James

No, i won't be sporting a collimator, i find they aren't wide enough to cover the essential anatomical parts :)

Jd