• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Whale Galaxy from tonight 03.05.2013

Graham

After a week of massive problems with my guiding I decided enough was enough so I stripped my mount down and rebuilt it today.

I then refitted and centered the polar scope.

Mounted and balanced the Helios 127mm Frac along with the ST 80 guide scope.

First job for tonight was to Polar align the setup again.

This done I tested the guiding and after some initial teething problems with the balance I finally got it to where I was happy.

This all now complete I decided to have a go at a new target for me the 'Whale Galaxy'.

The conditions were far from perfect with a lot of moisture in the air which made the seeing  'interesting' to say the least.

Helios 127mm Frac

Atik 314 L

49 x 300 second subs. There were 51 but I had to ditch 2 due to aircraft flying through.

51 Flats.

51 Bias Frames. 

Stacked in DSS.

Processed in PS 6.

Anyway this is the result of my nights efforts.

Hope you like.

WHALE-GALAXY-03.05.2013.jpg

Guest peter shah

that's a super shot of the Whale.....interesting the seeing was quite good for me last night until the clears skies went hazy at around 1am, then that was my imaging session over....

that's a super shot of the Whale.....interesting the seeing was quite good for me last night until the clears skies went hazy at around 1am, then that was my imaging session over....

Well after seeing the pics you produce Peter I will take that as a positive step in the right direction thank you. :)

It was pretty awful seeing here all night as the subs were coming in with a snowy type finish.

Mind I am quite close to the sea here.

What I need to do next is get some filters so I can put some colour into it.

There's always something to buy Graham  :lol:

I personally like your images, I think they look very natural.

Guest peter shah

its colour is really lovely, a silver blue with beautiful pinks from the HII regions

There's always something to buy Graham  :lol:

I personally like your images, I think they look very natural.

Thank you Mick .

its colour is really lovely, a silver blue with beautiful pinks from the HII regions

Now your just teasing me