• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Upgrades: My options ... your thoughts please!

Al.Grant

I was bidding on an eBay auction for a SW 200P (black) on a manual EQ5 mount yesterday, but the auction was ended early  :( when the price was still below £175.   Pity as I could have used the 200P and sold the EQ5 mount to fund a new focuser!

The seller was in Nottingham so nice and easy to collect  ......  Ahh well!

Edited by Al.Grant

Any carefully thought out plan for a scope upgrade pretty much went out the window this weekend!    :facepalm:

I now have a (second hand) Vixen VC200L sitting on my HEQ 5 Pro mount  

Same as the one in this pic:  (but this is not my actual one)

visac_stl_500.jpg  

These details taken from FLO website:

Objective lens 200mm VISAC aspherical mirror, multi-coated

Focal length (Focal ratio) 1800mm (f9.0)

Resolving power, limiting magnitude 0.58 arc sec., 13.3

Light gathering power 816x

Tube size & weight (OD) 232mm x (L) 620mm, 6.0kg (13.2lb)

Finderscope 7x50 finderscope, field of view 7°

Adapter thread / visual back 60mm on scope body. 42mm for T-mount and 31.7mm push-fit on flip mirror. 50.8mm option*

Accessories included Dovetail mount rail and flip mirror

Photography** Prime focus, eyepiece projection and afocal imaging

At 6kg it seems to sit well on an HEQ5. 

It is an F9 scope. There is an optional focal reducer that brings it down to F6.4.  The reducer is something I'll look at in the future.

It's a bit of a step up from a Skymax 127.  They seem to get good reviews, although they have quite a large central obstruction and wide vanes. Being 'open ended' it is supposed to cool down far quicker than a standard cat. 

The standard focuser is supposed to be fairly good, but there is an option for a dual speed upgrade if needed.

It has a 'flip mirror' diagonal on the back that allows quick switching between 2 different ep's or an ep on one and webcam on the other, a turn of the dial switches the light path between the two .... not sure how good these are in practice ....  but might be useful if I can have an ep on one and quickly switch to a webcam on the other.

21%2Bu91YD86L._AA160_.jpg

It came with Vixen 9mm, 25mm & 40mm ep's, not their latest ep's but the 9 & 25 look far better than the standard SW ones I currently have at that size.  

It isn't the scope I had planned and I almost didn't buy it .....  However my wife was all for it, so how could I say no  (I can always blame her it it's wrong!)

Typically as soon as I collected it the skies clouded over, so I won't really know how happy with it or if I made the right decision  until I've had a chance to use it.

.............. Only time will tell!

That's great-congrats. The flip mirror is cool I need I get one for when I am doing webcam work.

Hi,

i picked this up on Monday afternoon and since I got home the skies have been full of cloud & rain, all I really know about this scope is from the reviews I've read, but they do all seem to be consistent in what they say and for the most part it's very positive ..... especially for DSO imaging (even better with the focal reducer).

All scopes have some limitations in addition to their good points and this one is no different. The large central obstruction and vanes seem to be the main ones mentioned with this scope. I WAS aware of that when I bought it, but not really sure just how this will impact viewing/imaging ....... defraction spikes get a mention (i can live with that).

This review seems fairly typical : http://www.chuckhawks.com/vixen_VC200L_telescope.htm
Although it does say  "The VC200L is really too big for comfortable terrestrial use,"  - Well that's is then ... no peeking on the neighbours!

All reviews seem to agree that due to the open ended design it is very resistant to dewing

Is it a RC scope?

No - but I have seen it described as the 'poor mans RC' (that's cool, I'm not rich :D ) - It is a form of 'modified' Cat design Vixen call VISAC (Vixens Six-Order Aspherical Cassegrain) that vixen describe as being virtually free of coma, curvature of field & spherical and chromatic aberration, giving pin point stars right across the field of view.

Can't comment on how true that is!

Blimey! That looks good. Impressive.

James

Looks are one things ... but how it performs is another. I'm either going to be impressed or very dissapointed LoL

That's great-congrats. The flip mirror is cool I need I get one for when I am doing webcam work.

That's what I'm hoping. I've also seen that these flip diagonals can take a dslr on the horizontal axis, so could be very useful.
The focuser seems very smooth, but I'll only really know once I've tried to focus on something. The inclusion of a good focus locking knob is also welcome.

Can you believe that the man I bought it off has never taken it 'outside' - he used to observe out of the window of his first floor flat! :facepalm2: Edited by Al.Grant

Just read this about the flip mirror:  http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Telescopes-Vixen.asp?p=0_10_5_1_2_20

It looks like either ep holder can take a dslr.

"You can also unthread either 1.25" eyepiece holder tube to reveal standard T-2 42mm threads. These let you attach a 35mm camera using a standard T-ring, allowing you to observe through an eyepiece and immediately switch to a pre-focused camera for imaging."

Not exactly sure what they mean by a 'pre-focused' camera, surely the focus for an ep and the focus for the camera would be different ?

But really looking forward to giving this a try!

You will need a 'par focal' ring, first focus the scope for the camera, then adjust the ep in or out of the 1.25 holder and when focus is found screww the par focal ring to the ep barrell. I use this system sometimes with an OAG setup.

Cheers

Ron

OK thanks, not seen that before, I'll have to look into it at some point.

I have a Canon eos 400 without live view and have struggled getting good focus on the past through the view finder.

OK thanks, not seen that before, I'll have to look into it at some point.

I have a Canon eos 400 without live view and have struggled getting good focus on the past through the view finder.

My prehistoric DSLR doesn't have live view either.