• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rob`s attempt at M13

red dwalf

tried the other night to get a little pratice in with the setup and software, managed to get this effort of M13,

14 60 second subs with 10 60 second darks,

still finding it hard to use photoshop to process any images, tried alot of the online tutorials which make it look easy but my processing seems to make things worse !

anyway here`s the jpeg image stright from Deep Sky Stacker with just alittle luminace adjustment in Deep Sky Stacker and no other processing.

That's a good balanced image Rob, steep learning curve init!!??

Its the processing that lets me down as well.

I know I should learn all the technicalities in PS but I always end up just fiddling about until it looks about right to me.

Tell you what has helped me though that's Noels Actions (Noel Carboni that is, not our Glider :) ). These take a lot of stress out of processing and make life a lot easier for the more complicated actions.

i`ll have a look at it Phil, cheers, Photoshop is doing my head in, far to complicated for someone who puts luggage onto aircraft for a living.

Eddy, yes all the imaging was done with the starwave, no reducer and the canon 1100d stright into the focuser, quick bantinov mask focus first on a bright star and this is the result

That's a good balanced image Rob, steep learning curve init!!??

steep is not the word i`d use Ron, been at this for a while and still learning every time

Me too Rob, some nights I don't even bother to put them through DSS !! As for PS3, I've no idea what most of it does!!

Nice image Rob.  To tell the truth I only really use Levels, Curves and maybe some sharpening in Photoshop.

Nice image Rob.  To tell the truth I only really use Levels, Curves and maybe some sharpening in Photoshop.

most of the time +1

Guest peter shah

great shot, nicely resolved, Photoshop is all you need to process, as said Levels and curves, is the main thing, if you want to sharpen things you could use a wavelet or deconvolution works really well

Its the processing that lets me down as well.

I know I should learn all the technicalities in PS but I always end up just fiddling about until it looks about right to me.

Tell you what has helped me though that's Noels Actions (Noel Carboni that is, not our Glider :) ). These take a lot of stress out of processing and make life a lot easier for the more complicated actions.

+1 for Noels actions it does most of my work for me :thumbsup:

great shot, nicely resolved, Photoshop is all you need to process, as said Levels and curves, is the main thing, if you want to sharpen things you could use a wavelet or deconvolution works really well

thanks for the help,

Peter, can you tell me where abouts in Photoshop i can find wavelet or deconvolution, seem to be missing it,

also i`ll have a look for Noel`s actions.

Guest peter shah

You wont find it in the standard program but there are various plugins for Photoshop, Plus if you want to work on fits files then you also need a fits plugin....  Photoshop can be daunting but as complicated as it is you will never use everything.

I downloaded Noel's Actions and have them displayed but, how do I activate them on the screen?? Or is it me?

Lovely. I like how you have left a larger star field around it, don't usually see that.

had another play this morning, treied the surgestion of sharpening in photoshop, also the smallest adjustment to levels and curves,

he`s a side by side saved as jpeg so i can upload them.

original image

adjusted with shaprening and small amount of level and curves adjustment

I downloaded Noel's Actions and have them displayed but, how do I activate them on the screen?? Or is it me?

You click on the little "Play" triangle next to the action you want then click on the "Play" triangle at the very bottom centre of the list and sit back.