• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

SW AZ EQ6 handset

dawson

I posted this on SGL as I thought it might get more attention this morning and allow me to make any changes before tonight. But then I realized I should post it here in case someone knew.

"I made a home made extension for the handset lead for my SW Synscan GOTO mount using a 5m Cat6 ethernet lead which plugged into the mount, a male to male Cat6 inline coupler (like this one http://www.showmecab...ght-White-1.jpg (but a Cat6 one)), and then plugged the original handset lead RJ45 into the other side of the coupler and the RJ12 into the handset, and it all worked wonderfully.

Now I tried the same extension lead with the AZ EQ6 and the handset can't detect the mount, it comes up with "use handset in isolation mode" or something. But if I use the old AZ Syncan GOTO handset with the extension plugged into the AZ EQ6, it detects the mount, and can drive the motors albeit in some confused AZ mode.

My question is, is this down to the new handset, or down to the firmware on the new handset?

Could I flash the old Synscan AZ GOTO handset with the AZ EQ6 firmware and would it work with the extension on the AZ EQ6?

Can I down flash either handset back to drive the Synscan AZ GOTO mount once I've flashed them to AZ EQ6 mode?

Sorry, lots of questions.

James"

So many questions and so little time?? I bought a replacement extended lead from Asrronomiser??

I tried four extended leads from him for the old mount and none of them worked; we never worked out why, but my solution worked a treat and I've even used it with a 20m ethernet lead and sat in the conservatory :)

I just would like a bit more length on the handset of the new mount.

JD

Stick with the supplied handset and use the latest software upgrade. It's not worth the risk of blowing something up by swapping with earlier handsets. And there's positively no advantage either. Extension leads are made, tested, and guaranteed by astronomiser.

Unless you're an electronics expert then I wouldn't mess about making diy leads. Always best to be safe than sorry. :)

Yes, I wasn't keen on blowing anything up, but I'd done some research and believed either handset should work the new mount.

Someone on SGL had given me a tip off, and now I realise that the old handset works in AZEQ6 mode with the extension lead perfectly, in exactly the same fashion as the new handset without the extension lead. It seems the latest firmware which I'd previously installed on both handsets (v3.35) means you can plug into any skywatcher mount and it will detect which it is and give the user options that are appropriate to that mount.

I have no idea why the new handset doesn't like the extension lead; I suspect Skywatcher are trying to stop users from making extension leads themselves to encourage them to buy original Skywatcher products.

As for why an extension lead, when imaging it's nice to have more length when sitting at the laptop with the mount a few meters away.

Thanks for the replies.

James

I agree - dunno why they make 'em so short in the first place - it means you're sitting on top of the mount all the time......

If I can find the pinout for the lead I'm sure I knock one up or modify one.

It could also be that the lead is just too long. It depends on the baud rate (transmission speed) the handset uses to talk to the mount. Faster speed = shorter feasible cable length. High grade cable (e.g. Cat 5) will help. Might be worth asking Astrocookie, I think he knows a fair bit about RS232.

Just seems odd that one handset doesn't mind, and the other does. The handsets look exactly the same.

I can cope either using the short lead and new handset, or long lead and old handset.

I thought Cat6 would be more high grade than Cat5 cable?

JD

Cat6 is higher grade than Cat5. I checked and FLO sell a 10 metre cable. I've got a multimeter and oscilloscope if you want me to check the cable