• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mounting Bar Question

catman161

Hey everyone, just wanting to check something. I currently use a 14 inch vixen style dovetail to mount the 200P on the NEQ6. I find it vibrates quite a lot at the slightest touch. Would a wider losmandy style bar of a similar length (I was thinking the 15 inch model on FLO) help reduce this and give more stability?

I have been looking at this one:

]http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars/adm-losmandy-style-universal-dovetail-bars.html[/url

Also could anyone tell me what they mean by the options of 15 inch metric and 15 inch imperial? I would have thought that rather than say 15 inch metric they would just say 38cm for a metric measurement wouldn't they?

If anyone has better/more suitable mounting suggestions please let me know. I have the ADM dual Mounting puck on the NEQ6 rather than the factory fitted skywatcher one.

Edited by catman161

P.S not sure why taps talk no longer loads URLs as "clickable" URLs anymore-very strange. Used I do it automatically and now you have I put the URL in [ ] and it comes out all funny. Most annoying.

Edited by catman161

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the metric refers to the screw holes and pitch

Could it be the threads in the plates are metric or imperial threads??

Just what I was thinking Tom!!

Edited by Ron Clarke

Aha! Yes that would make sense :) Thanks guys

If you have a puck or adaptor for your mount, or your mount takes losmandy bars then go for one of those over the sw vixen style, much more butch and less bendy

Philjay, if you had to pick between a 14" SW vixen style over an 11" for a 10" Newt, which would you go for?

(I've got both and not sure which is best).

James

Thanks Phil I will go for the losmandy version then.

The 11" would be slightly stiffer but if I were in your shoes I would get a nice butch losmandy or at least a solid vixen dovetail bar, you have the benefit of the dual clamp on your mount so go for the beefiest

Bare in mind that the Losmandy saddle and plate will add substantial weight, but it will be rock solid and absolutely no flex or vibration. I upgraded to Losmandy for my 10" and found a big improvement.

Nice one thanks Pete. I am leaning towards the 15 inch ADM Losmandy I think.