• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Repairing bins

A lovely lady in B&Q today, Jenny from the office [office staff were stuffed on the shop floor as it was so busy], was helping me find ionised water (that is another story altogether).

Anyhow, she found out I was into astronomy and she asked me a question I couldn't answer, but I'd like to be able to find out the answer for her and let her know.

She said she's got a pair of £140 binoculars which she dropped, and now it sounds like the two eyes are not in alignment. She asked me where she could get them repaired. She'd tried 'camera exchange in Nottingham' but they couldn't help.

I assume she live near Nottingham so does anyone have any contacts / ideas where she could get them repaired / sorted out relatively cheaply.

Thanks for any replies.

James

They need re-collimating James, a professional job I fear??

Mick (Doc) dropped his in Islay but luckily they are still under warrenty!

Ron

I've still not sent mine off but I did e-mail Hawke and because they were dropped and it wasn't a mechanical fault then they are not covered by the warrenty, so it's either send them back to Hawke or use the following one I was recommended. Hawke did say it would be about £50 to recollimate.

http://www.intrasights.co.uk/binocular-repairs/

The above shop said it would be about £40 to recollimate.

If it's a manufacturers defect then they cover it for 10 years, but it's not insured against misuse.

When I get paid I'll send them off.

I had exactly the same problem while on holiday, I dropped them, in the case, and when trying to use them the images wouldn't merge.

What I found had happened was one of the objective lens had been knocked, and was not sitting square on the body of the bino's.

I had to hold the body of the bino's between my knee's and with quite a bit of force, unscrew the objective cell. When it got near the end of the thread, I turned them so no debris would fall into the prism housing. I cleaned the thread with a bit of tissue paper, and again holding them upside down screwed the cell back in, making sure it wasn't cross threaded.

They seated spot on and are bang on.

I cannot believe this, I sent my Hawke bins in to Hawke for repair, I sent them recorded delivery on Wednesday afternoon, I tracked it and they arrived at 08.30 Thursday morning which is today.

I then received this e-mail today at 11.30 saying the following.

Morning Mr Bird

Your binoculars have arrived today and been repaired. They have now been put back into alignment and we have replaced the twist up eyepiece also. 

There is no charge for this repair as the binoculars as so new and should not have lost alignment so easily.

Hows that for service.

Result Mick

well thats great to see.

i had 2 usb sockets replaced by SX one cam being 8 years old the other 10 and it was a very reasonable charge of postage only

There are still some good guys out there

Steve

You can't beat good customer service, and guess who you are going to recommend from now on. A personal recommendation is priceless, you can't buy that advertising.

I agree customer service is so important.

As is buying from a dealer who offer a 10 year warranty.

Iam pleased you got them sorted Mick. Mine only cost £18, but they are real sharp and deliver great views. I was gutted when they were out of whack, and real pleased to get them sorted. 

Yours cost way more, so I can only imagine how you felt.