• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Visible nebula

xanthic

I managed to catch the Orion Nebula before it disappeared for summer. Are there any other nebula that can been seen visually at this time of year?

Not a whole lot its bad enough trying to find a good one with the imaging rig.

You will get better info when one of the visual folks comes along and answers this one.

There's the ring nebula, that is quite a surprising visual target but very small and not anything like as bright as M42.

Here's a few , thats visible in a larger dob.

Cygnus Ngc6826 Blinking Nebula

Cygnus IC5146 Cocoon Nebula

Cygnus Ngc 6992 and 6960 Veil Nebula

Gemini Ngc 2392 Eskimo Nebula

Gemini Ngc 2371 The Peanut Nebula

Hydra Ngc 3242 Ghost of Jupiter Nebula

Cepheus Ngc 40 Bowtie Nebula

Draco Ngc 6543 Cats eye nebula

Perseus M76 Little Dumbell Nebula

M27 the Dumb bell Nebula is surprisingly large, and easily visible in Bino's.

It's cousin M76 the Little Dumb bell is reportedly one of the hardest to locate, and I wouldn't disagree, there is little in the way of "signposts" near it.

The Ring Nebula is visible in Bino's, but looks just like a star, so you need a good star map the correctly place it.

There is a good few in Cygnus, the favourite ones being the Veil and the North American Nebula. Both of these can allegedly be seen visually from a really dark site, and I have seen the brighter portion of the Veil in Bino's from Kelling. The North American nebula has never made itself bright enough for my duff eye's though. 

The Veil is one of my summer favourites but I need a O111 filter unless under really dark skies.

If you've got a clear view to the South, there's the Triffid and Lagoon Nebula.

Thanks guys. I've managed to spot the Dumbell and had a decent look at the Ring Nebula. I was trying to see the North American but no joy, light pollution to bad at home. You've given me a good list to be getting on with and I'm looking forward to getting to one of the dark sites again to have a better look.

M27 the Dumb bell Nebula is surprisingly large, and easily visible in Bino's.

It's cousin M76 the Little Dumb bell is reportedly one of the hardest to locate, and I wouldn't disagree, there is little in the way of "signposts" near it.

The Ring Nebula is visible in Bino's, but looks just like a star, so you need a good star map the correctly place it.

There is a good few in Cygnus, the favourite ones being the Veil and the North American Nebula. Both of these can allegedly be seen visually from a really dark site, and I have seen the brighter portion of the Veil in Bino's from Kelling. The North American nebula has never made itself bright enough for my duff eye's though.

I have really clearly seen the veil nebula through my 8" OTA from EMS1, had a fair bit if detail too it as well.

One of my first targets at EMS2 later on this year.