• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Diagonal and Fine Focuser Question

Guest CodnorPaul

Guest CodnorPaul

Does anyone know what the solution is to fit my current 2" XLT diagonal which screws directly onto the OTA, and to get a 10:1 focuser to also fit the diagonal and OTA?  I know Feather touch do one which replaces the standard focuser but I was thinking over time the inevitable mirror flop may cause an issue but getting a rear cell focuser would resolve this - looking at them all though they seem to screw onto the rear of the OTA and then go into a compression ring fitting.

I know this may require a new mount as clearance on the SE8 would probably be an issue?

Paul, the fine focuser I have is to fit an SCT, so feel free to just have a go with that sometime; either at a meeting or bring you mount and OTA to mine just to play in day light. I use a Mak to SCT converter ring to make the focuser fit.

How much clearance is there between the back of the OTA and the top of the mount? how often do you look at the zenith? Could you set slew limits on the mount so it didn't inadvertently knock something, then if you wanted to look at the zenith take the bulky stuff off?

James

Guest CodnorPaul

thanks James - finally got back to have a look.  Unfortunately no it doesn't - it would need to be a screw fit to screw fit 2" both ends  fine focuser, which my diagonal could then screw on to.  I don't think there is such a thing!