• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Light pollution and a DSLR

dawson

My nifty fifty (Canon 1:1.8) just says 'EF' on the barrel not 'EF-S' so I'm guessing that is OK.

I've got two Tamron lenses, and I can't see any EF or EF-S on them so I'll do more digging on them; as my lenses need 52mm, 62mm and 77mm filters, the clip in the body of the camera might be a more versalitle option for me.

I hardly ever use the 18-55 lens which was supplied with the camera.

Thanks again.

James

The profile off the bayonet end is noticeably longer on the EF-S lens.

Compare the nifty and 18-55 side by side. You'll see straight away the difference.

Regards.

From bern:

"Hi James,

The rule is that EF lenses work and EF-S lenses don’t.

EF and EF-S lenses are marked as such, don’t know about the Tamron but if it was designed for a full frame camera it’ll be OK.

If you’re going to use lenses then I suggest the CLS CCD as it seems to deal better with any CA.

Both types are in stock atm.

Regards

Bernard Karpinski

Modern Astronomy"

Now i'm confused again....

James

I find Bern's wording strange.

It isn't a rule - you physically can't fit an EF-S lens into the camera body with the clip filter in place.

The CLS-CCD filter is for CCD cameras and DSLR cameras that have had the IR filter removed. 

Bern is suggesting that the added IR filter will help with CA when using a lens. I couldn't comment on that.

Perhaps it's better to simply decide the 50mm is the lens you will use (most do) and buy a screw on for that.

Regards.

I seldom use the nifty fifty to be honest, I like the effect of true wide angle (10mm).

I am drawn towards the clip, but just need to check it won't be a problem with the other two lenses I use.

Thanks.

James

It seems my other lenses are designed for APC sensor cameras, but liasing with bern and showing him pictures of them we think they will work with a clip, so i've ordered one.

I'll let you know how i find it.

James