• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

help finding the right motorised focuser

red dwalf

hi all,

i`m off to the Astro show this coming Saturday and am on the look out for a motor focuser for the Starwave 80 ed and ideally to fit the Celstron 8" sct, does such a universal focuser exist ? i was thinking of the Skywatcher auto focuser which i can then one day use as a usb ascom controller device with the hitec astro controller box that`s bought seperatly, but do any makers have a reasonalbly priced all in model ? i know a few of you have motor focusers on you scopes so any advice or help would be gratefully recieved before i go and buy the wrong thing, also i can`t run into hundreds of pounds for one of those moonlight jobs L.O.L. wife just booked hoilday so i am skint for a couple of months. 

all the best

Rob

Hi there.

Never come across a focuser that will work across the range of scopes.

My advice would be buy the SW  one and than make adapters to fit it to your other scopes.

I have in the past knocked up adapters to fit these to all manner of scope including the sct's

I use the Skywatcher auto focuser via the Hitecastro DC focus on my ED120 and it perform flawlessly. Admittedly it's a straight bolt on.

I also have a Starwave ED80 that would benefit from remote focussing so I'm watching this thread carefully to see if you go this route/Graham turns out a bracket.

No help to you Rob, I know, but I can aid in dimensions etc to help manufacture of said bracket. Then you'll have 2 customers Graham  :thumbsup:

Regards.

I've got some angle bracket left from when I put a Skywatcher unit on my TS 80/f7 that you can have.

DSC00073-2_zps880192b9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob

What did you go for.

Did you make a purchase from IAS?

I'm in the process of making a focuser to drive the fine focuser knob via a belt so I can disengage easily for manual focus.

I've got a circuit to drive a servo motor, modded for continuous rotation,speed control 0 to 90% duty cycle and two way thumb control.

Just in the process of fabricating the bracket to suit my SW ED80 Pro

Proper cheap solution.

Paul