• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New door

dawson

How much, very roughly, do you think it would cost to get an exterior door put into the side of the house through a load bearing wall (i think there is one layer of brick and then breeze block(s)).

Thanks.

James

cannot see you getting much change out of a grand once you pay for the door and frame.

Edited by Graham

James

Had a family member who had a 1 hour fire door blank fitted between entrance hall and adjoining garage and cost £600 inc lintel.

Was a dusty messy job slicing through the block and bricks though.

Paul

Thanks all. It would be between my internal garage and the lean to shed on the side of the house.

I guess this would require building regulations permission. Does that cost anything?

James

Put the money towards a dome - your almost half way there at a grand - and use the back door lol. :)

Thanks all. It would be between my internal garage and the lean to shed on the side of the house.

I guess this would require building regulations permission. Does that cost anything?

James

If the door leads directly to the habitable areas of the house you may need to comply yes, if not probably not. The contractor should deal with any of that anyway and shouldn't add any extra cost. If the door is externally visible it may require planning permission, the contractor should be able to advise on that.

Guest Wayne
Put the money towards a dome - your almost half way there at a grand - and use the back door lol. :)
I agree with you. Go with a dome James lol ;-)

IIRC doors into garages from habitable areas have to be a step down into the garage. Something to do with oil/fuel seepage from cars.

It would be stepping out of the garage into a shed, so not visible to neighbours.

I can't have a dome, a roll off roof observatory would be a possibility and I'm looking into this, but I learnt last night that my prime location for one has the view of the ecliptic largely shielded by trees (which were trimmed by the neighbours last year and are set to grow again).

There is another potential location, but need to experiment with that on the next dark night.

James