• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Back on the Bubble last night 13.05.2013

Graham

Well after it finally stopped raining last night I decided to grab another go at the Bubble neb.

I have raised the sub length to 600 seconds for this one.

Due to the weather I only managed 12 subs.

Helios 127mm frac

Atik 314 L

Stacked in Maxim

No flats or darks

Processed in PS 6

I did try to add this lot to my other data from the other night but it was having none of it for some reason.

BUBBLE-NEB-13.05.2013.jpg

Very nice. Why do you get diffraction spikes in the image? Particularly noticeable in the large star at about the 11 o'clock possition from the bubble. I didn't think refractors gave diffraction spikes.

Hi Tobias

They are not defraction spikes

I think it is caused by the exposure length being too much for the bright large stars.

That along with the basic optics  on my scope.

they are more than likely the spacers for the front lens

you could well be right there Steve.

I did paint them black when I overhauled this scope, maybe they need trimming down a bit, or I could make up a ring to go in front of the lens cell to cover them up.

It would reduce the aperture by a couple of mm but if it cured this problem the benefits would outweigh  the loss.