• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Newbie!

Guest i-am-kloot

Guest i-am-kloot

Hello to all,

I have just registered to the website as I have been interested in the sky for a while but recently bought a small travel scope to look at the moon. 

A couple of nights ago I looked on my downloaded stellarium program and noticed saturn was out the front of my house. I looked out to see a bright spot in the sky and trained my scope on it and to my exitement I could clearly make out the planet and rings (between clouds) albeit only being a couple of mm big in the eyepiece.

All fired up, the following day I ordered a Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT (with an extra case of lenses and filters) off the internet and when it arrived I felt I had created a monster!. The box is as big as me (well,perhaps not quite as big!!).

Having assembled and disassembled it a couple of times and zeroed the red dot finder looking over to the next village, it seems a bit less daunting now but I think I am going to need a bit of help and advice on best use etc in the coming months and hopefully attend some of the future EMS meetings/talks etc.

Thankyou in advance.

Mick.

Welcome Mick. We've all (well many of us) been at the Astronomy Show and if anyone else is like me, knackered!

We've got several members Derby way (an odd breed), and we have a dark site we use in Belper.

Feel free to ask any questions on here (I ask more than most as everyone will tell you), and someone clever [not me] will answer.

I think it's important to get out there and get to an event with other people, you'll learn so much about kit (yours and theirs) this way, and learn a a lot about the night sky; and the day time sky if you ask the right people.

A very warm welcome.

James

Hi welcome along. You've come to the right place. Ask away, someone will answer, they are a good bunch on here.

Hi Mick and a warm welcome to EMS :)

First sight of Saturn is surely a jaw dropping experience - I'll never forget mine - and it's just as beautiful every sighting after that too. So congrats on that!!

You'd be most welcome to join us at the next observing session at one of our two dark sites (Belper in Derbys or Wymeswold in Leics). Just keep an eye on the "Info & Announcements" section "EMS Meets" thread for details of the next meeting. Beware meetings can be called or cancelled at 30mins notice depending on weather.

Meantime ask any questions you like in the beginners section and someone will post an answer for you very soon. Enjoy the forum! :)

Saturn is an awe inspiring sight indeed! :D

Welcome to EMS.

Hi Mick and welcome to Ems and a fascinating and rewarding hobby. Im just up the road from you so any help you may require to sort your new scope out just give me a shout

Guest devil74

Hi Mick..Welcome to EMS..hope you enjoy the forums.

Hopefully we'll catch you at a meet soon..we are all tentatively waiting now its summer...(did I just say its summer).

Damian

Hi Mick, a warm welcome to EMS.

Saturn is a stunning sight, and the new scope will give you a good look at it. These first views of Saturn will remain etched in your memory, just like the rest of us, it has to be the most beautiful Planet. Yeah, Jupiter is big, but it doesn't have grace.

Congrats on the new scope by the way. :)

I look forward to meeting you at one of the get together's, when the weather decides to behave like summer. Heck, we had to have the heating on the other night, that isn't right. (Cats were getting cold....Bless).

Enjoy the forum. :)

Hello. Welcome to EMS. I'm in derby to. Get yourself to one of our meets so you can use your shiny new kit at some decent dark skies.

Enjoy the forums.

Guest i-am-kloot

Thank you for all the very welcoming replies, I have never been on a forum before and you have made me feel at ease from the start.

I will very much look forward to the 'dark site meetings' they sound great. Unfortunately I work shifts, so will have to try to work round them if I can.

My back yard is very small and quite built up so I have been moving my little travel scope from back to front garden depending on location of planets etc, but this doesnt kerb the enthusiasm!.

Thanks again and hope to speak more on the forums and meet in person in the near future.

Mick.

Welcome to the forum.

You will never forget your first time. Viewing Saturn, I mean  :popo:

Enjoy.

Regards.

Hi and welcome.

I'm new here myself and having met a few of the EMS crowd at the Int Astronomy Show, I can say they are a friendly crowd!

Hi !!!

:thumbsup:

You have come to the right place.

I've tried a few forums and this lot are great.

:D

Guest devil74

Hi Michael..welcome to EMS.  :)

Be good to see you at a meet sometime..hopefully tomorrow night at Wymeswold. Don't worry you'll be safe with us in the middle of a dark field.