• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

no luck with my Pentax Kx .....so......

Guest billywhizzzzz

Guest billywhizzzzz

hello to one and all ,

well since I picked up my C8 sgt and goto mount about 6 weeks ago I have been messing about trying to get a few pics with my Kx ( un modded ) , anyway I have had no real luck , pictures are not really what I hoped for , and to fair  it seemed like a lot of messing about for the results I got  , anyway .......

I have been thinking about a ccd  cam but as this is something like many I had no idea what , how , or why  regarding this sort of imaging ,  so after reading endless posts on this subject I thought I would start from the very bottom and went down the webcam route , so Friday day night after work I called into pc world and grabbed myself a Logitech C 615 HD cam , .

I done a few mods and attached to a 25 eyepiece  , dropped it into the C8 and waited for nightfall .

well  the seeing was awful to say the least , I had a 10 min window where the moon popped its head out of the clouds . well .....

after having a play with Regis tax I must say  its a massive  improvement  , even the still pics I took were fantastic ( 8mp )  I will post some up when I get chance .

I know this is small fry to pics / equipment you guys are using , but for the moment im happy .

just thought I would share my little victory with you all .

regards steve

Well done Steve - can't wait to see the pics. :)

You don't always need flash kit to get a very respectable picture - and it's all part of the learning curve. Great idea to start with webcam'ing - though different - the principles really will help once you get onto dslr's and ccd imaging. Check out Damian Peach's website for what can be achieved with webcams - I think you'll find it very interesting. :)

Lets see the pictures!!!!!

I'm trying to find my original Jupiter pictures I took with my DSLR, and they have vanish :( They weren't very good, but it would have been nice to see my progress.

Edited by dawson

I started out with a DSLR too, but like you found it was trick (especial;ly on the mount I was using) and the chip was too big so the planets were too small on the resultant image.

Interestingly, I want to go back and try DSLR again for planets, but this time through an eye piece. When weather and time permits, that is one of my next things to try.

James

Guest billywhizzzzz

I started out with a DSLR too, but like you found it was trick (especial;ly on the mount I was using) and the chip was too big so the planets were too small on the resultant image.

Interestingly, I want to go back and try DSLR again for planets, but this time through an eye piece. When weather and time permits, that is one of my next things to try.

James

this is the problem I was having  , I will have another go  at some point in the future , as  do  I love  my dslr ,  , I will post some pics up as soon as I have somewhere to host them .

regards steve

If you can shrink them to under 512, then you can just upload them here using the "more reply options" button next to "post". I resize mine simply in Paint (open, resize to 50% / 25% keeping aspect ratio, save, hey presto).

James

Guest billywhizzzzz

well I have tried and tried to upload the picture , however im just being told I don't have permission , file size is 512k for what its worth ,

steve

I think there is a post limit before being allowed to post pictures. One of the mods will be able to say how many it is. I think it's 15 or 20 posts before you can upload pics. Get posting :)

Guest endure

You can register with Photobucket and upload them there. They give you a link so you can post the photos in any forum.

www.photobucket.com

I think you're just over forum the limit which IIRC is 500k. All you need to do is resize it in any appropriate image processing software so it's under the limit and it will be uploadable to your gallery or in posts. :)

Guest billywhizzzzz

right think ive done it , please bear in mind  this was a first test pic , with NO tweaking , just as it was , the seeing was awful , really cloudy / misty so the shot was grabbed in the cloud breaks .

ol and its the very first test pic too haha

steve

Guest billywhizzzzz

just a note , I intentionally chose an area with minimum detail as I was to see just how sensitive  the cam was , not sure if I mentioned this but its A focal  as well

steve

Guest billywhizzzzz

That's a good attempt Steve - well done. :)

thank you , much appreciated . I am fully aware that my attempt is but child's play   companied to the pics in the forum gallery , however this wonderful site is proving to be a fantastic resource  , and im sure in the coming months I should do able to image to an acceptable standard ( fingers crossed haha )

Well I'm no imager but it looks a good start to me - I'm sure you'll do well - glad you like the forum. :)