• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Stainless vs mild steel in EQ6

dawson

How do I tell / find out which nuts and bolts on my AZEQ6 are mild steel so I could potentially replace them before they start to rust.

Thanks.

James

Due to the fact it's such a new model and not many folks have the AZEQ6, James I reckon you'd get an answer more readily from FLO. On the NEQ6 it's usually the alt bolts and az bolts that get replaced because they are mild steel and bend if forced. I haven't heard of rust problems with nuts or bolts on the premium mounts - unless left out in the rain uncovered obviously.  :)

I'll email FLO and ask them.

Before i bought the mount i'd seen two second hand EQ6 mounts under two years old which had some rust on them, albeit small amounts, both on the bolts which hold the legs to the mount, but thought it might happen elsewhere and i'd like to minimise the risks of it happening to mine.

I'll report back if i find out.

James

Please do James - you're going to be the font of all knowledge on this mount hehehe :)

A simple test would be to see if the bolts are magnetic. If they're not, then they'll be stainless, if they are then they may or may not be. Depends on the grade.

A2 Stainless is slightly magnetic, A4 which is a better grade isn't. A4 is around twice the cost of the former.

Screwfix do a good range of Stainless fixings now, but have to be purchased in packs of 100 for smaller stuff, and lesser quantities for larger items, such as M12 and so on.

Well i'll wait to see what is what first. I think FLO are great, but i'll be surprised if they know. We'll see.

They'll know - they have a habit of watching quality on the kit they sell and wouldn't want to flog rust buckets :)

This is not 100% reliable but most stainless bolts should be marked up as such on the head. They should be marked either A2 or A4, A2 is most common. As I say though, it is not 100% reliable as not all Stainless bolts are marked, just most.

P.s. I have a big box of stainless bolts of various sizes and lengths in metric if you only need a few, just let me know what you need and I can have a look. They are all A2 grade. A2 will still rust a little eventually as it has some Chrome content.

Edited by Perkil8r

HDW 4.8

Is what it says on the heads of the three bolts which hold the legs to the mount plate.

Google isn't being helpful other than saying the 4.8 might have something to do with the torque specifications.

I'd just assumed stainless steel was stainless steel; interesting reading:

http://www.graphskill.com/2011/03/21/grades-of-stainless-steel-a2-a4-in-relation-to-fasteners/

Cheers Mike, I'll let you know when I know.

James

4.8 refers to the tensile strength, those are indeed Mild steel bolts. (4.8 is tonnes BTW)

Steve from FLO has just emailed. He has contacted the engineer who is on holiday at present, but will forward me his reply when he's back. Interestingly Steve at FLO said he's just greased his bits which could potentially rust. I don't want to do that just yet as the car is already in an "astro-state" and don't want to add grease to the mix :)

James

• 1 month later...

FLO can't find out this information; the engineer they contacted doesn't have the technical drawings for the mount.

I'll just replace the three which hold the tripod legs onto the mount itself.

James

Guest Kheldar

Never seen a rusty mount myself - would suggest that they would have been abused if they had gone so?

When I was looking for a new [second hand] mount, I looked at a few, and at least two had rust on them, and they were under 2 years old. I'm keen to reduce the chance of this happening to mine, especially as it's now kept in the outside shed which is probably more humid than inside the house. I don't fancy grease as I don't want to mess the back of the car up when I transport it around.

James