• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Guiding

Teslar

Ok I'm thinking of trying to use guiding and have a QHY5L and a finder guider all ready to go and PHD installed. Here comes to newbie question: do I need to connect the ST4 port on the ccd to the Lappy so that PHD can do its stuff and if so what's a good cable to buy.

That's one thing I like about this lark there is always something to learn :)

Edited by Teslar

The only way I've done this is direct through the hand controller using the software download cable supplied with the mount (ie not via the ST4 port). Fire off the question to Andy Ellis at Astronomiser and he'll tell you exactly what you need in cabling and how to hook it up. He makes good quality cables that are guaranteed to work, all be it at a premium price (otherwise - hang on and one of the forum imagers will advise). :)

You should use EQMod. cable here toward the bottom of the page http://astronomiser.co.uk/eqdir.htm I've only just started trying guiding myself, it's really not that hard afterall.

The cable replaces the need for the handset completely. I'm using CDC for controlling the mount with regards to finding objects.

Edited by Perkil8r

I'm using an EQDir cable made by Dion to control the mount. That works perfectly. I've got a USB lead from the QHY8L-II to my laptop but when I open PHD it recognises the camera but when I click the brain nothing happens, it just seems to hang. I was thinking I needed another cable connected to the ST4 port so that PHD could do its thing but as I've never tried before it could well be something else. Perhaps I need to re install PHD

Have you selected the correct scope in the "telescope" setting? in phd

Edited by Perkil8r

Tom

open PHD

select camera by clicking on the camera icon. ok

click on the telescope icon and select eq5/6 ascom (something like that) ok

click on the arrows icon and PHD will start to capture the image.

click on the cam dialogue tab and adjust the camera.

Find a star and click on the guide icon, you should get a set of yellow dotted cross hair lines appear as PHD calibrates the mount.

When its done the dotted lines will turn green and you are guiding.

Don't know about EQdir but I guide with a QHY5 and use the ST4 cable direct to the mount. PHD works through the cam to the mount that way cutting out the middle man