• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

first go at saturn

Guest billywhizzzzz

That's nice. You can just start to make out the Cassini division.

What did you use to take the picture?

Guest billywhizzzzz

thank you , its my very first go at this stunning planet , I used  a C8 SCT / Cg5  with a Logitech C615 webcam ( held on with an elastic band ) and taken A focal through eyepiece , then sharpcap  and registaks 6 .

steve

Not bad for a laggy band! In fact, pretty good i'd say :)

Focus needs to be sharper. That is always the tricky bit.

Why held on with a laggy band, can we see a photo of the webcam?

James

Guest billywhizzzzz

haha yeah the good ol lazy band ,, the reason I done like that is , i felt that the hardest part of imaging was using the software , and the processing part , the cam is the easy bit , so before i go and buy  a ( mid range ) CCD cam i needed to get to grips with processing  and learning or should i say get an idea of how  it works , so i needed something to practice with , hence the quick fix on the can front , 

i'll put a pick up at some point  .

steve

Ah. I see. Well good work.

There will be plenty of people here who could give you some avi footage to process if gou wanted to reherse that part.

But good idea.

I think if you are good with computers and want really nice inages, i'd be tempted to go for a mono camera and filters. Having said that, i can't be bothered and i'm happy to have less resolution and use a colour camera.

James

Clever!

You could market this on ebay :)

I think you are ready to progress to the next stage.

James

With great thanks to Angus, I had my first go at imaging Saturn in the digital world. 

26/5/13.  12" Dobsonian reflector.

Canon digital Ixus II hand held against eyepiece.  Some of the problems encountred were: The camera autoexposes hence most of the shots were over-exposed because of the relativley larger dark field of view. Although the camera has a manual mode, shutter speeds are restricted to 1 to 15 seconds, and would have been blurred at 1 sec.

It was difficult to get the camera lens axis in line (concentric) with the telescope axis, therefore was hit and miss with hand wobble. A camera mount would have been better.

Focussing: Not sure about how the camera focuses against a piece of glass eyepiece. Green box did actually lock onto Saturn itself when focussing.

Image is resized in Irfanview (might have reduced its size too small for viewing?). No image processing.

I was able to obtain a couple of 30 second video runs which might have some frames that could be processed in Registax.

I've managed to image it before but failed miserably last night. Having got Mercury for the first time by webcam, I couldn't expect too much, could I?