• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Webcam image of Mercury

As far as I know, very few amateur pictures of Mercury through a telescope have been taken but if I can do it anyone can. I've just posted a picture of Venus and Mercury.

Here is the Mercury one on its own.

Very nice capture.

mercury is hard work

I think best time would be in the morning as seeing tends to be better

steve

Very nice capture.

mercury is hard work

I think best time would be in the morning as seeing tends to be better

steve

I hope to have other goes at Mercury later this week but it should be well placed in September for morning viewing.

There is not many images of Mercury as it's a really hard target, so just to capture it is awesome Phil.

There is not many images of Mercury as it's a really hard target, so just to capture it is awesome Phil.

Thanks, Mick. I'm hoping for further attempts but it needs a really clear sky near the horizon and it also means lugging a Skymax 127, EQ/3 mount and laptop across the close where I live. I'll be able to get it from my back garden in December/January, weather permitting.

Here's my "historical" Mercury pictures: http://s197.photobucket.com/user/PhillipPugh/library/Mercury?sort=3&page=1

Not all are clear and maybe I could reprocess some of them but, as you say, it's not an easy target.