• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Garden Adventure

Perkil8r

Just a few snaps from this afternoon.

8893243536_a8694c22b0_b.jpg
Wingedrat1 by Perkil8r, on Flickr

8893237810_75dd565143_b.jpg
wingedrat2 by Perkil8r, on Flickr

8892632255_d4d082283b_b.jpg
snail1 by Perkil8r, on Flickr

8892638905_d8133e3066_b.jpg
slug1 by Perkil8r, on Flickr

8893267194_b15be010e4_b.jpg
rustyeye by Perkil8r, on Flickr

8892654411_3b0f394ed9_b.jpg
rustybin by Perkil8r, on Flickr

8892658257_f97c2c3672_b.jpg
mcfly3 by Perkil8r, on Flickr

8892661921_08cdc0f34c_b.jpg
mcFly1 by Perkil8r, on Flickr

8893285838_f27238f0f4_b.jpg
lonesoldier1 by Perkil8r, on Flickr

8893289902_a8886d7b3d_b.jpg
ironrose by Perkil8r, on Flickr

8893295672_13f8da1317_b.jpg
fireant3 by Perkil8r, on Flickr

8892687973_02cf2e18b6_b.jpg
fireant1 by Perkil8r, on Flickr

8892694795_8395ca4a45_b.jpg
discarded1 by Perkil8r, on Flickr

8893321998_e3189d0102_b.jpg
decay by Perkil8r, on Flickr

8892709015_da4789a707_b.jpg
bluebell1 by Perkil8r, on Flickr

8893333312_bb5ae7518f_b.jpg
abandoned by Perkil8r, on Flickr

Though the subjects don't blow my skirt up those are some pretty darned good quality images Mike. Were they done with the 300D?

Very nice shots full of colour and pin sharp. :)

Though the subjects don't blow my skirt up those are some pretty darned good quality images Mike. Were they done with the 300D?

Very nice shots full of colour and pin sharp. :)

Yes with ye olde 300d, just messing about looking for stuff that can look different if you look rather than just see. Just trying to find a cure for cabin fever :lol:

In fact, that wheel barrow is a stunner.

How did you shoot? RAW?

As a tip, it is easier to recover detail from overexposure than under exposure. See if you can adjust your camera to shoot overexposing by one third. You can then pull it down during processing. :)

In fact, that wheel barrow is a stunner.

How did you shoot? RAW?

As a tip, it is easier to recover detail from overexposure than under exposure. See if you can adjust your camera to shoot overexposing by one third. You can then pull it down during processing. :)

I don't remember all of the steps I used in the processing. I did shoot this lot in RAW yes having discussed the pros and cons last night / earlier today. Up until then I had stuck with JPEG.

If I recall, the steps I used were:

Duplicate, LAB Colour, High Pass (4.2px), Apply as soft light to original, Flatten, Greyscale, Duoscale and picked a pale sage as the second colour. Then convert to RGB and use HDR. Messed a bit with contrast ad saved.

It was something like that. I don't really know for sure as I was messing about really, not done this sort of thing before.

As for under vs over exposure, I have been going towards under than over, I'll try that next time :)

Edited by Perkil8r

Sounds like you are exploring all the right features Mike.

Definitely go over, unless you are shooting a bright subject in harsh light. That horse photo of mine, the white one with the blue eye, could not be overexposed. I would have totally blown the highlights.

The reason over exposure is better than under is because you get more apparent noise in the darks than the lights. Increasing exposure on an underexposed shot is more noisy than the same shot that has been decreased after having been overexposed.

Make sense?

Makes sense to me.

I was saying to Mrs Mike earlier.... Back in my day a shot was costly to do (film and processing) and you never really knew what you had until afterwards. But it was easier in some respects because it was what it was. Now you take shots as many as you want and pick the better ones. Yes you can do a lot more with them but the skill set is a lot larger now. I guess having played with AP helps though as I now know my way around PS pretty well, but it's completely different to AP processing. It's all fun though, just need to find my feet.

I use Lightroom for most of my processing. Not that expensive and allows batch processing of shots. 

Never used it. One thing that bugs me with shooting in RAW is I have to open each one in PS Bridge and look at them before I can delete any etc, in Jpeg it's a lot easier to weed through them. The 350d will shoot in RAW but also provide a jpeg at the same time so you can scroll through fast in windows to weed out the junk.

• 3 months later...