• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What Tablet to get?

BAZ

I have been given the green light for a new lap top for my birthday.

However, work has said it is going to provide me with a laptop, more for their benefit than mine mind you, so I thought why not just get a tablet for mooching about on the web.

My neighbour has a HD Kindle fire, which looks alright, and another mate has a Nexus.

Does anyone have a recommend for one, or good advice on what to avoid. (HP is to be avoided at all costs apparently).

Guest Eddy

I've got the nexus 7 and its a brilliant tablet, you get a lot for your money, it's awesome. I'd wait until June 10th though as there are rumours a new one might be announced so the prices may drop.

+1 for the nexus, its pure android so no rubbish added by other manufacturers.

My suggestion would be for any type of tablet that will relieve the headache of all these cloudy nights ;) ;)

I have been warned that the new Kindles won't display pdf's or youtube.

If it matters to you.

If you fancy a play with a nexus I'll gladly pop round with mine (daughters hence the she-ra wall paper) any time.

i bought the youngest a Samsung tab 7" for Christmas Martyn and i must say i was impressed with it, not a massive hard drive only 8 gb but it takes sd cards so you can increase the amount of space very easily and there cheap to buy. i got a 8 gb one thrown in for free.

so far it hasn`t failed and kids use it all the time, battery life is amazingly long so no need to keep turning it off and on everytime you want to use it, look very smart too.

Im typing on a Samsung 7" which is great but I would buy a 10" if I had the choice now because the keypad is just a bit too small for my fingers and I have to retype stuff reglurly dew 2 mi prezzng tu kees hat the saim tyme :-)

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Martyn.

Firstly as with all tec, fix your budget. Hope the DELL has served you well.

Get as large a screen as you can, make sure that the memory is expandable tablets usually via micro sd.Go and get your hands on them, then see what you really like and get the best deal on the net. I have a personal dislike of the fruity option yet I had one of the frst Apple II's with a whole 48k ram !... Just for personal choice if you get one with a usb port it makes connectivity so much easier than  configuring wireless everything.

It comes down to personal choice, they fundementally all do the same task, so do try em out, go to Meadowhell have a play.

Enjoy :)

I'm in the bitten fruit camp though I rarely get to pick it up as Laura always gets it before me :( it's still not been equalled in my view for smoothness and quality of apps. Having said that the Nexus 7 is a great little tablet if your looking for a cheap £170 grab and play :)

Thanks for all your comments.

It looks like doing the homework and having a go with some, as Damian mentioned. It looks like they will all do the same sort of thing, and so long as it does it well with no cussin', then its down to what will suit my budget and needs.

Guest Steve

Maybe a bit late but I love my Asus Transformer - keyboard acts as a cover and provides extra battery life (10 hours) and a full USB socket.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about getting a kindle or something in the summer. I saw the Kindle Fire HD and thought that could be a good choice, then I saw the Nexus 7, which is free of the Amazon 'locking' and is more powerful... However I was wondering can I get books on it, and would it be as good as the Kindle for reading?

Then I was also thinking should I just stick to physical books (they seem to be cheaper than the Kindle versions!) and buy a Nexus as a tablet for everything else... I'm thinking that would be wiser?

Go straight for the strong stuff Rocuronium ;)

Edited by catman161