• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Got my star party accommodation, advice needed

philjay

Just been playing setting up my new Bandit drive away awning and its excellent now I've just got to sort out a gutter strip, figure of 8 and Kador strip however these will cost almost the same as the awning from ebay or off the net (which is a bit galling).

The gutter strip is just a bit of ali or stainless with a c profile and folks are after £70 quid with post for it, the Kador strips are about 25 quid and there's post on top of that, the only thing that seems reasonable is the figure of 8.

I just think its OTT for a bit of ali and plastic.

Going to take a look at Don Ammott sometime soon but I suspect they will be OTT as well.  

But do any of you van owners know of a place who supply these type of things?

Ta

Do you have a link to a decent picture of the ally channel you need? It might be a readily available section, in which case I may be able to source it for you.

Thanks Mike, thats the type of thing almost. The c section is ideal but my van has large fixing screws so needs a larger flange. My t5 doesnt have gutters, just a wide channel with the roof rack fixing holes in it, if it had gutters I could use the clamps that came with it.

However their fixing kit is a darn sight cheaper than others so I may go for them.

Cheers

I will not comment of the size of flange :D

Just be aware with that company that some of the items are collection only ;)

Alternate idea for you though, if the T5 is similar to my Trafic, they have a few points where the roof bars bolt on? Could you not make some brackets to attach the C section to and then to the roof bar fitting points maybe? Just a thought.

Edited by Perkil8r

Just been to Don Amott and they have the fitting kit for the same price as thst link also I got a 12' length of the same sli section for 9 quid. So all i need is some 40mm flat ali to fix the ali section onto and jobs a good un I think. So thanks for the link Mike, it gave me the info needed to make the decision

Oh and I just went out to measure the awning up to find our cat annointing it inside as cats tend to do, so its his now :-)