• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Oregon Observation Porro Prism Binoculars

I have the Celestron 15x70 one's which are a similar spec (Bak-4, FMC, Porroprisms) and they work very nicely on celestial objects. You'll see the 4 moons of Jupiter but no planetary detail, Moon craters will be crisp and clear, and globulars and open clusters will look beautiful (eg Pliades, Beehive etc - M13 a bit smudgey). Nebulea and Galaxies though will be just faint smudges - Orions sword is one of the brightest of these and there's little or no defineable shape at this low a magnification.

There's no price indication on that advert but (as a guide) mine were £85 and I've seen other similar brands on special offer at £50 from time to time. Hope that helps :)

Thanks kim thats helpful. These ones are £70. Getting them from a camera shop in St Ives.

Sounds like a reasonable punt. Unless you get a duff pair (eg badly collimated) then you usually can't go wrong with them. See if you can get them on approval or with a 31 day exchange/refund warranty - just in case. :)

I would say they should be pretty good, but I would imagine they need to be tripod mounted.

They are quite big and together with the high 15 mag will require a tripod for any useful observations not unless you are one of them statue blokes who stand around for hours in market places:-)

Bought them.

The tripod they had were about another £150 so I'll leave it for now.

Quite happy with these. I'll try them out tonight. 5th night in a row with clear skies :D

I put mine on a standard camera tripod (second hand £23) with an alt/az fine tuning head. Takes a short while to calm vibrations down but fine for the amount of binocular viewing I do. :)

You could turn a broom upside down to steady the views in the meantime

Nice Bino's.

I like my 15x70's (Revelation), clusters really pop out. M44 is gorgeous.

Get a reclining sun lounger, that should help.